xisto Community
PhxStorks

What Is... The Lifegem? Youre not gonna believe this...

And I thought I saw it all; but then this comes along.This is the creepiest thing i have ever seen. Who on earth wants to weat their grandmother, father, lover, you name it, on their finger! I guess it is better than keeping one of those boxes of ashes in you house, but it's just plain wrong! I mean, it sounds like a good idea at first, but what should happen if you lose the gem? thats a lot of money down the toilet right there. And it isnt like you can replace it, so yeah, it isnt a very good idea.

There was and English advert where a man turns his brother into a diamond through a mythical company. In the end it was either for a car or beer. :D Still, the idea is sick. I'm not squeemish about corpses, but this would be like keeping someone's ashes at your side at all times. Weird, and wrong.

There was and English advert where a man turns his brother into a diamond through a mythical company. In the end it was either for a car or beer. :D Still, the idea is sick. I'm not squeemish about corpses, but this would be like keeping someone's ashes at your side at all times. Weird, and wrong.

I'd rather have someone as a diamond than as ashes. Imagine if someone spilled your relative. How would you feel? At least a diamond is cute.

I can see what would happen if you tried to pass down rings of relatives to a child and explaining, "This is grandma Fae, this is grandpa Joe.." Kids would get confused.

That's sick. Unethical and morally incorrect.First thing, corpses are not allowed to be burnt in some religions.Second, its sick!

Wow. I registered with this forum purely because I felt the need to respond to this. I am horrified by the close-minded and flat-out ignorant comments that have been made here. I wish I could say that I'm shocked, but sadly that would be a lie. First of all, I'd like to point out something in answer to the people who are saying that a lifegem won't last forever. Clearly, you need to do some research. That's what I've been doing. (Coincidentally it's how I found this thread - I was researching the whole lifegem concept and synthetic diamonds in general.) Synthetic diamonds, which is what these are, are physically the same as natural diamonds. Seriously. No difference. Same hardness, same durability, everything. In fact, the main way to tell the difference, apparently, is that synthetic ones are often "too flawless". That is to say that they have less of the imperfections that many of lower grades of diamonds have. In other words, they're too perfect. Otherwise, exactly the same. In fact, most of the research into producing synthetic diamonds has been done for technology such as using diamond to make computer chips (processors could be faster without melting). Clearly the diamond used for scientific purposes must be chemically the same. The idea that natural diamonds are superior has been promoted by DeBeers to keep their stranglehold on the market. It doesn't really mean that natural diamonds ARE superior. It's just marketing. Synthetic and natural diamonds are exactly the same, physically speaking. More to the point, a synthetic diamond, including one made from dear Aunt Franny, will last every bit as long as a natural diamond. In addition, it is virtually impossible to tell the difference between the two with the naked eye or a jeweler's loupe. So do your research lest you look silly. With that out of the way, let's go on to more fascinating moral arguments, shall we? How is it "sick" for someone to want to keep something to remember a loved one? If that's really how you feel, then throw away any heirloom that's ever been given to you. If you really believe there's something pitiful about a person wanting a physical memento of a loved one as comfort after they die, then you need to go take your deceased dad's pocket watch, your deceased grandparents' wedding rings, your great-grandfather's military medal, or your great-great-grandmother's pearls and trash them or pawn them. Otherwise you are a hypocrite. For that matter, burn all your old pictures. They're mementos too, right? That may sound harsh, but it's true. It's not uncommon, or weak, or pitiful for someone to want a keepsake of departed friends or family. I can agree that it might be a touch creepy for the memento to actually be made from the person's remains. However, if it doesn't creep out the person who is having it done, how is it "wrong" or "sick" or "disgusting"? Of course, you can choose to have your organs removed from your body, your body filled with weird chemicals, all kinds of parts sewn up, have make-up ground into your skin, be put into a shiny box, and have all of your loved ones weep and stare. Then you get to be lowered into a big hole and covered with dirt and mud. Then your relatives can come visit you while you rot surrounded by a hundred other rotting corpses and cry over a stone that has your name carved on it. Personally, I think that's about a hundred times creepier than being burned to ash and put in a vase above a fireplace and it's about a thousand times creepier than being burned to ash and then having a scientific process turn carbon from that ash into a sparkly rock. I think it's about ten thousand times creepier than being burned to ash and scattered somewhere. That's my opinion, though. If the whole chemicals and worms thing brings you or your loved ones comfort, then it's not my business to say it's wrong or sick. In the same token, some religions may prohibit the burning of the dead, but if my religion doesn't and I'm not involving you, then it's none of your business to tell me that I'm doing wrong. I'm also a little confused. Some people have said that it's stupid to want a lifegem because the person is not the body so the lifegem is just another rock, but then also said (in the same post) that the dead bodies deserve respect. How does that make sense? It's either one or the other. Unless you want to argue that the dead bodies deserve respect so as not to upset the living. In that case, though, if this is what comforts them, then why are you still on your high hobby horse? For that matter, to the people who do this, this IS respect. Read the feedback or watch the news clips that feature people who have done it. They think of it as a way to keep their loved one's memory alive in a beautiful way. How is that anything but respect? Unless you're talking about the people running the business. Ok, I can agree that it's screwed up to try to make a dime from someone's grief. Except... how much do you think this process costs them? Could this kind of pressure and heat possibly be expensive to produce? Perhaps less of this is profit than you might think. Even if it is pure profit, how are these people sicker than coffin makers and funeral homes who charge a FORTUNE for funerals? At least with a lifegem you get something in exchange. At least they're trying to do something new and unique to comfort grieving families. That's not to say that they can't possibly be just as greedy as some of you think. I'm just pointing out that it's not the only possibility. Yes, this idea has the possibility for some majorly creepy things. For instance, when I first read about it I immediately pictured a 90 year old rich man who would make his new young wife wear a necklace made of the diamonds from his old wife's remains. In bed. Both sick and slightly funny. And yes, one can think of someone trying to tell a kid "this ring was your grandpa." Screwed up. But realistically, who's going to try to explain that to a little kid? Wait until they're old enough to understand. Use some common sense people. In fact, all of the creepy stuff is no longer necessary. They now have the technology to make these diamonds from some hair. That's it. A lock or so of hair. No one has to be dead. Although they can be. Apparently they auctioned off one of three diamonds made from some of Beethoven's hair. Seriously - google it. Or go to their site. However, the diamonds no longer HAVE to be made from dead people. A living person and their living fiance can send their hair off and have it mixed and then made into diamonds for their wedding rings. Perhaps a bit extreme, but can someone really deny that it's sweet and deeply symbolic? If you're just going to hold onto the idea that it isn't, try to think back to older movies and books. How common was it for someone to give their sweetheart a lock of hair? How many parents save a lock of hair from their baby's first haircut in a baby book? As far as the possibility that the company just takes the ashes (or hair), throws them away, and sends a random synthetic diamond... that seems like it could be possible. However, the company has been around for years now (I first heard about them in 2003) and one would think, especially with all the news coverage, that they would have been exposed by now. It also seems like a stupidly huge risk to take, especially as they grow. Especially because they could just make the synthetic diamonds and sell them as synthetic diamonds. Why bother with the cover? That's only a little gain for a whole lot of risk. Anyway, that's my two cents. It might be long & rambling, and it might be harsh, but at least it's decently researched and logically considered. I just hate the knee-jerk reaction that it's somehow morally wrong, especially since that's completely contradicted by the other complaint (often made by the same people) that a body is just a body. Just because you think it's creepy to wear a necklace made out of Aunt Marge doesn't mean that someone doesn't get a little bit of comfort from seeing it sparkle and being reminded of her smile. That's what it's really supposed to be about, right? Just comfort. And if you can't at least see the merit in that, there's something REALLY wrong.

Well that sounds a bit weard to me, but of course it is something new. If this is the way people want to be remembered by then it is ok with me. I think that it is irrelevant what people do with our left-overs since for me that is the same question as what should we do with our old clothes. The one thing that is important is that the body is left for some time after a person dies, so that the soul can leave the body peacefully. After that the body is just one more combination of 5 basic elements of this world...So lifegem or coffin? It is your decision, just give the dead person a few days to leave the body behind and only after that think about your self and your own memories...

diamonds are formed when carbon comes under great pressure and enormous temperature (and only happens under earth)now my ?'s1.what pressure is coming from fire ?2.does fire make enormous temperature ?3.who certified it ?4.how can be ashes called high quality ?EDIT:removing 1 stupid question and adding 2 questions

Edited by mahirharoon (see edit history)

The thing about this isn't so much that it disturbs me that much (not like some of us here, I guess!), but that I can't see the point. There's something a little creepy about urns too, so I'm not a big fan of cremation of any kind (and that's basically what this is, burnination with added pressure :P ), but surely after the novelty wore off (yeah, Uncle Bob is now 4 carat...) you're left with a diamond that just isn't as 'real' as a normal one...it's not fake, but it just isn't right...and a big hole in your pocket to match the already exorbitant funeral fees. Great way for Nunc' Bob to be remembered, leaving the family in debt.Oh so tacky, and oh so pointless. As others have said, better ways to remember people...like using your memory?

Kudos to Wanton Rhapsody for that really-long explanation on how hypocritical we can be at times. :) I really liked how you compared ordinary mementos like pictures, heirlooms, and whatnot to the Lifegem.I still think that the Lifegem is a rather exorbitant purchase, especially if you still have to come up with the dough to bury some of the remains, the casket, etc. On the family's end, I think that it would be okay to keep someone's ashes as a Lifegem. What's it matter? In all practicality, they're dead. Unless it was in a dying wish or will, I don't think they'd mind just as long as you don't do anything absurdly disrespectful (and that's really just on your conscience).Personally, I don't care what my family does with my body. As long as it doesn't cost them a fortune to get rid of me, I'll be fine with that. (Although having my ashes spread around the world would be kind of neat, plus it would give someone an excuse for a road trip.) :)

Disturbing thought for jewelry being a dead person. Possibility a good concept to think of, but it's just wrong to sell your love one or someone just to carry on your hand, neck, or earring. It won't make you feel better or brining that person back. The site looks legitimated and I find it very fraud. :)

Just think of becoming a diamond like it's part of your organ donor agreement. Your remains are still technically used for science. What I don't understand is the difference between synthetic diamond and cubic zirconia. I thought they were the same thing.DeBeers has a monopoly on diamonds. They own nearly all the diamond mines and they're full of diamonds, but they only release a very minimal amount each year, which is why they are so expensive. It's all the laws of supply and demand.I wouldn't mind being turned into a diamond. It's not like I'd feel anything, since I'd be deceased during the process. My concern is that I wouldn't want to turn up in the wrong hands. For example, what if I get stolen and put in a pawn shop? And then someone buys me not knowing what I am?

Well......................just to be different for the fun of it.....Say a woman had a husband that was lazy, obnoxious, mean, spiteful and just a pain in the *bottom* and treated her like crap threw their entire marriage. When the old goat finally kicks the bucket, she could turn him into somthing pretty and nice to flaunt around, saying she finally found a use for him. :)

why not?What Is... The Lifegem?

I don't know why everyone is freaking out about this like it's some unforgivable thing. Why is everything so limited?? It doesn't even have to be a piece of jewelry. The first time I heard of this I thought it'd be cool to attach it to the end of a string for say a lamp or something. It's like every time you reach up to turn the light on or off, you think of your loved ones. Even if it was worn as jewelry, well...I'd wear Mom! I love my mother so dearly and I am proud to call her my mother. Of course I'd parade her around and be proud to wear a memorabilia of her. It's honestly more meaningful than a picture.

-reply by Courtney