xisto Community
David789

Designed By You Or Site Builder?

Do you...?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My site layout I made but some of the components there I just took from the cpanel and installed like the gallery. I've asked a lot of help from the guys here at the forums especially for PHP and MySQL coding since I'm only starting out. :) My friend asked me to make her a blog so I'll probaby use WordPress or PHP nuke for her site...couldn't decide yet.

I have never used a site-builder to make a complete site.. I started off learning raw HTML, then JS, then CSS, etc.. and worked my way up using only Notepad (I use Crimson Editor now though, great text editor!) and eventually I was proficient with the raw code. One day I tried using DreamWeaver and found it pointless because I had to learn a whole new program to make what I already knew how to make! lol Ever since then, I haven't been bothered to learn some specialized IDE just to make websites.. Plus, most companies (even if they are working with IDEs) want you to know and understand the code that the IDE spits out, so any neccessary changes can be made by hand..

If I were going to use a CMS I would have to build the CMS myself, I think that using a cms is a good idea if the website is not just for you, like forexample a business and the site were not really part of your job then updating it would be best if it was done quick, otherwise I think you should build the site yourself using whatever software you see fit (Dreamweave, notepad, HTML Designer, ect)That's what I did, and now I'm planning a rewrite perhapse with a little Database, in the background for easy updating but otherwise I will build it myself.

This depends on the type of the site I'm trying to create and of type of customer (if I'm not doing it for myself). If I need content then I use Content Management System (aka CMS), and I prefer Mambo Open Source, since it is easy to use, customizable, and you can create templates easely. If I'm making more static, not-so-content-driven site I use Photoshop and Corel (for bitmap and vector graphics) in combination with Dreamweaver. I almost never code PHP (sometimes only a few lines of code) since almost everything I need was already made by someone else. Sometimes I use MySql for simple databases, tebles, and user management. I wish I knew some more Flash to incorporate it in my sites, since it looks nice, and I hope to learn that someday...

For the main section of my site, I did all of the work myself. I do have a Blogger weblog hooked into it and an SMF message board, both of which I tried to customize as much as I could to get away from the " default template" look.

I have started writing my own blog and i design my site myself using html..It has improved my html knowledge..Previously i used dreamweaver by macromedia but it was pain in **bottom** later to find out whats going wrong..Now i'm totally satisfied and can help others too with html(which satisfies me more)

Currently I make my websites by hand, but it is getting very tiresome and I am starting to reach my limits and I cannot seem to pass them, so maybe I might redesign site in PhpNuke or something later...But by hand is best.

Well ive never used any thing like php nuke or mambo or anything like that. I do however use dreamweaver alot does that count as coding it you self or no? I like dream weaver cause it cuts down the time so much like when making big tables and what not but I also use the code part of dream weaver alot as well.

I build all my websites, but what i do is get like 3 base templates off the net tat i really like and try to combine them to make a good site but yeah i can say i build them but just not my templates to start off with

I design my own web sites. In fact I have designed some for others. Working on a church site now. I have a military site on GeoCities dedicated to my father, a web set graphics site and my own personal site. All of which I have kept as projects in progress. I use Cute html and CSE HTML Validator. For quick edits I use Notepad. I will admit to getting ideas from other sites. I do, however, modify them with my own adaptations. If you are giving designing your own site a try, visit my web set site and grab a template, it's free. My Web Design Page

I do both design my sites and also use sitebuilder softwares.But most commonly I select any predesigned template and start working on it by adding and changing it to meet my needs.