xisto Community
astraesboi

Brain Teaser

101-102=1

change the position of 1 of the digit to make the equation true.

this brain teaser DOES work!

Notice from cmatcmextra:
Merged double posts. I also took the liberty of fixing your spelling mistake. Please use the report button if you want a post edited

NO!read carefully pls...101-102.. not the other way round...102-101101-102 is supposed to be -1, but my qn is....101-102=1ur supposed to shift the position of 1 digit to make it true!its absolutely true brain teaser and works..my physics teacher gave it to the class and i figured it out!

Oh you must feel special. Why don't you try my Brain Teaser? Brainteaser: Shadow(the links in my sig). And what do you mean by "its absolutly true brain teaser and works..." mine works, just has no real logical answer.I will get back to you with the answer.By the way: because of my ignorance i just got 30 hosting credits allowing me to start with the default package. I repeat again I WILL GET BACK TO YOU WITH THE ANSWER!!!

i meant to say its absolutely a true brain teaser and not something i made up... yup.i dun really get ur brain teaser... pls explain more abt it.. the position of the man, post and shadow???wat kinda of post is it?? a lampost u mean?

If you put it like this l101-102l and the results is 1, and that's true.It's absolute-thingy I forgot exactly what the name it is.Anyway, you both brain teaser is good, no need to fight for it :)

Alright then, can you add an equation?My answer for your teaser would be move the 2 to the other side and add it.101 - 10 = 1 + 2101 - 10 = 3And when you look at the left side of the equation in binary form, it solves as5 - 2 = 3

nope. siply shift. still wrong.simply* shift

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Refrain from double posting. Think and proof your writing BEFORE you click to submit. Once submit and needs to be adjusted, simply click on REPORT to admins/mods and ask us to correct it for you. Next double post will earn you a warning adjustment.

Even if you made it show the absolute value, it would be positive 101 - positive 102. Nothing changed. I think that Buffalo's makes the most sense. I don't know a thing about binary, so I'm going to stick with that.My original answer was going to be something along the lines of the first one and two but then I figured that you couldn't do that. Math's never been my strong point anyway, much as I like it from time to time :/

Alright then. If base 2 does not work I'm going to use base 3.If I move the TWO to the right, I'll get from101- 102 = 1to101- 10 = 21In base 3, 101 = 10, 10 = 3 and 21 = 7. So that the equation becomes10 - 3 = 7Oh my brain...it hurts.

Are you allowed to cancel out numbers?Example: 101-102=1 cancel out the 1and0 from both= 1-2=1That isn't the whole answer i just want to know whether i'm on the right track

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Merged double posts. Please refrain from making double posts.

That is a little unfair astraesboi as it is impossible to display the answer on this forum without adding a character for it to make sense. The answer is quite simple:

101-10^2 = 1

Which is the equivalent of: 101 - 100 = 1

The little hat thing (^) means a power, but there is no way on this forum to display powers!!

The answer is 101 - 10 squared = 1

When you say you need to shift one of the digits you need to shift the number 2 about half a line up.