xisto Community
andrescasta

Xp Network Problem

Hello, i have the common problem in XP, Setting up a Network to share folders, internet, etc, etc....

I searched with google and i found a lot of suggestion to fix this problem, but didn't work to me, Let see:

I have to make the network for 2 computers

/*The cable is Cross-over and the Work Group is the same ex: WORKGROUP.*/

Computer A: Notebook with XP SP2 (Without 3rd part firewall)

Computer B: A Desktop with a fresh installation of XP with SP1(Without 3rd part firewall)

First i tried the wizard to do the connection,

In B I selected that This computer connect directly to internet i restarted and this one had the ip: 192.168.0.1 / 255.255.255.0

Then in the computer A, I selected that this computer connect with a Gateway, etc, , ,restarte,,,,but A didn't take the dinamically ip (ex: 192.168.0.XXX)

It taked 169.XXX.XXX.XXX / 255.255.0.0

So, i disable the XP firewall , and press in the repair button, but nothing happends,
the same problem, it taked 169.XXX.XXX.XXX / 255.255.0.0

So, i try putting in A a static ip like this 192.168.0.2 /255.255.255.0 / GW: 192.168.0.1

With this setting the i ping both computers and work ok, and i see the other computer in My Network Sites, but when i try to get inside a share folder, this message appear:

"Workgroup Name is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource."

Well, any suggestion will be apreciated, ,

This is the official solution for this problem, that didn't work for me.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/318030

andrescasta

Well im not to smart on that kind fo stuff, and in my house my computers are networked, but we are also all lanned and hooked up together, i dont know if hat does anything, but what i do is go to My network places and then "set up a home or small office Network" and go throigh the steps like that, it worked for me, even with my firewalls open and such.

well where you are saying that it is 169.xxx.xxx.xxx, i suppose it will be something like 169.254.xxx.xxx because 169.254.xxx.xxx is a series which is purchased by microsoft and those computers which are not able to take their IP address dynamically are automatically assigned IP address starting with 169.254 and if this is the case then you may try bridging the connections...not sure wheather will it work or not...but you may try that.if you can provide some more information on how do you connect with the first computer and wheather do you have one NIC in the desktop or two then that might help us.what do you have to say about that RemoteConnection?

Hello, i have the common problem in XP, Setting up a Network to share folders, internet, etc, etc....

I searched with google and i found a lot of suggestion to fix this problem, but didn't work to me, Let see:

I have to make the network for 2 computers

/*The cable is Cross-over and the Work Group is the same ex: WORKGROUP.*/

Computer A: Notebook with XP SP2 (Without 3rd part firewall)

Computer B: A Desktop with a fresh installation of XP with SP1(Without 3rd part firewall)

First i tried the wizard to do the connection,

In B I selected that This computer connect directly to internet i restarted and this one had the ip: 192.168.0.1 / 255.255.255.0

Then in the computer A, I selected that this computer connect with a Gateway, etc, , ,restarte,,,,but A didn't take the dinamically ip (ex: 192.168.0.XXX)

It taked 169.XXX.XXX.XXX / 255.255.0.0

So, i disable the XP firewall , and press in the repair button, but nothing happends,

the same problem, it taked 169.XXX.XXX.XXX / 255.255.0.0

So, i try putting in A a static ip  like this 192.168.0.2 /255.255.255.0 / GW: 192.168.0.1

With this setting the i ping both computers and work ok, and i see the other computer in My Network Sites, but when i try to get inside a share folder, this message appear:

"Workgroup Name is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource."

Well, any suggestion will be apreciated, ,

This is the official solution for this problem, that didn't work for me.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/318030

andrescasta

172302[/snapback]

In p2p network connection sometimes you will encounter this type of problem as I did before.

The computer said that it was already connected and both the pc 1 and pc 2 can be ping and reachable but when you browse the shared folder it says not enough authority. there are many reasons to check depends on the setup you have. so maybe you can try this trick.

1. In computer one explore the folder and go the the folder you want to share to other user, and when you get there, right click the folder and clich share this folder, so maybe it work, but try the second one.

2. Even the folder are shared sometimes it connat be seen to another pc, if this will occurs go to the pc one and select the folder you want to share and right click the folder and click properties, in the property window you specity what would be the share name of the folder for example share1 and the click Ok all the way down.

In computer 2 or pc 2 explore your computer and from the Tools menu at the upper right side of the window click Map network drive, anothe window will apper with two textbox. In textbox 1 choose the driver letter you want to assigned but there is a default letter assigned by the computer.

In textbox number two the the following: //pc1/shared folder and press enter, where pc1 is the name of the computer and shared folder is the sharing name of the folder from pc1. If this will work fine you will another drive following the Drive c:

:P

Hope this will help you little...

My Webpage -_-

-_-

First I want to say that if i take the assistant way, one of the computers take the ip 169.254.XXX.XXX so that means that the host is inaccessible.yestarday i download Timbuktu, a software to share folder, and control the other pc by the network, y try it in others computer with static ip and work great, when i installed in pc: A and B, not worked, so I put a static ip in each one:Desktop (-_-192.168.0.1255.255.255.0Notebook:(A) (SP2 firewall OFF)192.168.0.2255.255.255.0Then I try to ping A from B, (B from A too) and the screen say:Host inaccessible Host inaccessible Host inaccessible Host inaccessible The cable is tested in other computers and work ok, I not put all my hands in the notebook computer because is a job computer, but it have Wifi support, so I will invesigate it in deeper. andrescasta

I have the same problem caused by Zone Alarm. My Server went down (XP) wouldn't reboot, so when my computers went out front to the Internet I had to install fire walls. I had to used Zone Alarm on one system since the Windows installer was not working there on my Windows 2K Pro (note to programmers don't count on Windows installer).When the network went back online, that Zone Alarmed computer couldn't see the network.Anyway what seemed to solve the problems was turning off all the systems and pulling the Network Cards, resloting them so that the system had to find them again. The clue is in network connections, as they had dissappeared there.My NEW problem is EVERYTHING can see each other and access the net through the bridge, but XP Service Pack 2 seems to have locked me out of the Server computer. I don't even get a log into the Server. The message says I don't have permission to log in - contact my Admin - well that's me! I believe I need to create a list of my user/systems to grant them access. But where?kservice......

I cannot tell if you enabled at least one folder from each computer to be shared? You MUST have at least one folder set to be shared otherwise you'll run into problem where you can see the names of the computer but cannot access the computer's folder/directory.In order to share internet either use a router OR you need two NIC for one computer (one for inbound and the other for outbound). Let's set Computer B (the desk top) to be the internet gateway. Install two NIC (network interface card). Set one with Obtain IP automatically and set the other one with static IP address. Install gateway software, such as Sygate, and designate auto obtain NIC as Internet and static IP card as intranet. Of course, if you have a router there's no need to set all these up--just plug in and you are off (be sure that all NICs are set to auto-obtain IP).