xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
RemoteConnection

Anyone Have Tried Wireless Internet ?

I'm using it right now. It has its downtimes and it's a sensitive little bugger, but otherwise, very hardy and pretty fast. I have a D-Link one - so it does matter by brand. But I like it a lot :D

What do you mean by wireless internet.. It can actually mean, acessing internet right from satellite or accessing it via access points which are setup by ISPs. Anyone with more information? I would appreciate if you could give us the advantages and disadvantages in more detail.

i've used wireless internet...i was using HP laptop ZD 7000 series and Linksys router....i dont remember the model of that....and service was absolutely brilliant...there are many standards like 802.11a 802.11b and 802.11gand i think the best one according to speed is 802.11b but i think go for 802.11g standard as it the latest one and is backward compatible as well....if you want to know more about it then you can PM or otherwise i'll posting more information about it in the same thread..for that if you want you can compile more questions of about what do you want to know and i'll be able to answer those.

I'd think by 'wireless internet, he'd mean like when you have those PCIMCIA cards, and you connect to the internet via the ISP's towers, or what have you.Not wireless interenet like 'My house runs on 801.11 - b, so there' That's wireless networking (at least how I interpret it.

you may be right! and if that is the case then he can have any laptop which is wi-fi enabled and that will solve the problem otherwise he will have to purchase a PCMCIA card as you have already mentioned...you are also correct that it will be called wireless networking but i think RemoteConnection is talking about the wireless networking only...because he seems to be in networking(it seems from his earlier posts) and by mistake typed it as wireless internet...or may be used it as a general term

My family has a laptop with wireless internet. It definitely has its disadvantages because having wireless internet in the first place is supposed to allow you to move your computer around and still have access, but the network connection doesn't have a good range, and it can't be moved too far. Sometimes the computer will be close to the laptop and it'll still lose the signal. So all in all, I'd rather just use an ethernet cable and be assured of a constant connection.

I am having SMC Barricade g Wireless Router 2.4GHz 54 Mbps Wireless Cable/DSL as router/access point this days. It acts like LAN Adapter with 54MBps of speed. Default router's IP is 192.168.2.1 which is your getaway to your ISP. You can be using cable or wireless connection to Router. I used it computer on second floor and router on 1st floor and it did worked OK, but not OK on every place. But for same floor this solution is ideal.Standard 802.11b is for 11MB LAN and 802.11g is for 54MB LAN.

I have a wireless network at my house and the security is pretty good no weird or strange things have happen so i must say it's secure also it's pretty fast now a days at over 50mbs

i haven't been using the wireless internet connection yet.but i wanna tried it.when i contact the local isp they only provide the CDMA card to connected as the wireless internet.oh.i have been so dispointed with GSM or CDMA net..

hi friends, anyone have tried Wireless Internet  ? the differences between dialup or other connections wif wireless? is it secure?

171293[/snapback]

Yes.., it is very sercure. The network i am running now is ADSL and i have a password set for hexideciaml and static IP. I haven't had any problem out of it every since I did that. I am using a D-Link Router, which I would highly recommend to anyone. :D

I have heard that is is quite insecure unless you put encryption on the signal and still is a little insecure. anyone can access using your signal so you really have to be carefull. i love my cable modem.Long life to Cable Modem :D:D:DB)

Wifi is faster than Dial up, and it doesnt need any phone to be able to connect to the net, dial up needs a phone line to just like a DSL connection.im planning to switch to wifi in the next 3 months and see if its performance can meet my expectations.. dsl is just too pricey for a student T_T