xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lindsay

How Do You Get Yourself Motivated? ^ title ...

Hey everyone...

Okay, this is my first post.. I didnt read the rules, but I assume it's all common sense stuff... but if this goes in the wrong subforum please move it.. just dont hurt me...

I'm not Lindsay.

I've read a few threads and the advices seem reasonable.. well my problem is that I am lazy.. actually the problem is bigger than that, just that it all boils down to .. erm.. I just cant motivate myself to do anything... Sometime I read a website that's so inspiring and thought to myself yay finally.. but I dont.. I just sit and think of how sweet it is or whatever.. so my question is how do you motivate yourself? I've been lazy for like 5 years now.. (and I'm around 20) is that too late to discipline myself? =/

I force myself to get up and do whatever, regardless of what it is. Once I get up, I just do it, no matter what it is. It'll be rattling around in my brain for a while though. It just has to come out. When I've had positive experiences with something, I tend to become more and more motivated to go. It's just association that gets me going.

I have a hard time to get myself motivated because I suffer from depression and anxiety so it's really difficult to do so. When I can I usually force myself to do so... I'll tell myself if I don't do whatever it is I need to be motivated at that if I don't do it I'll miss out, and what kind of things would I miss out on if I couldn't even accomplish the smallest things. I have my lazy days too, I can go about a week being lazy. One thing that gets me motivated to get off my butt is to look around and if there is a mess I have to clean it. I hate being filthy. I think a good way to motivate yourself is to keep things in mind and maybe one day you'll get tired of your thoughts nagging at you and you'll do what you wanted to do in the first place.Disciplining yourself really isn't the answer, it could lead to making yourself feel really bad.

Comparing my self with better people is how Iget motivated. Ithink of me and I think of someone else who is better than me (at the same age )and that gets me angry and wondering why an earth are they better and that just makes me do stuff, lol. Ibasically force myself to be better than the next person.I admit I can be a VERY competitive person..so I guess it's other people that get me motivated, just by being better.Everytime I get my grades back, I'm never sastified and I'm like "No, I did crap. She got better than me" and my friends go but she's super intellegent..and I'm like I'm so stupid and my friends tell me NOT to compare myself with better people just with I don't know .......them? Iguess.. but I still do because it makes me work harder.

Deppresion is really hard thing when you wanna be motivated. Especially if you really in deppresion (like you are proved by a doctor :D ) I am not in that state, but if something happens to me, then every stops for me. I had problems with my life in January, so I failed in school in every aspect. I was almost A student in vocational college last year, this year I suceed to do two exams and failed three. Only and just because I had problems. Well to get motivated I start to look around me, there are people with this education, well to be on their level I need that school. So I am starting now to study again, i will take it easy for a starter, then going to harder level of exams. Hopefuly I will suceed. :D

I think I've always been motivated and driven. I don't really know why but I seem to be competitive in nature. If I'm gonna do something why not try to do good at it - that's sort of my principle. Of course that doesn't mean I'm excelling at things I do because I don't, I mean not usually. :D I just feel good thinking that I've done something I can be proud of. It doesn't truly matter to me what people think about it, what matters is how that made me feel.So how to get motivated? It would help I think to have a clear attainable goal. That goal should be something you really really want, that way working to achieve that goal would seem like fun and not like work. It's good also to have a timeline or a schedule of things you'll do so that you would actually be *pressured to do whatever you need to do. Hope this helped :D

Thanks everyone for the replies *hugs* I think I'm somewhat in the depression stage too.. Like I entered university with scholarship and everything, but I flunked last year.. I sorta distanced myself from a few people too... I just dont like to imagine myself doing what I do in class every day for the rest of my life... (it's science, and it's very repetitive)

I thought disciplining would help make it better because then you dont have time to think of negative stuff.. now I'm not sure..

Anyway.. Maybe I should try what you guys have done.. and oh leiaah, how to have a clear goal?.. Like when I think of the future.. it's somewhat blank.. I've talked to my family and friends, but like I dont feel the connection and it doesnt really help.. It just help at the time I talk to them, but after that I just get back on being lost.. Like I'm not sure what I want from my life.. ... how do you know what you want from life?..

Sorry if I sound like a depressing person and may ruin your day.. that's not my intention..

-L

in case anyone's still reading this for the motivation tips.. i make lists. for everything. when i need to get something done, i write down every step that goes along with it (give or take a few). it's incredibly satisfying when you cross the items off the list. also, like others mentioned, sometimes when i know i need to do something, i just do it. realizing this helps.

yeah list's are great .... when you put things on a list, then they're not constantly buzzing around your head .... you know they're on the list and that you'll get round to them at some point ....

motivation is very difficult for me .... sometime's my motivation can be a cup of tea .... I think to myself, "get up and wash the dishes and then you can have a nice cup of tea", it's like rewarding myself for doing chores and I apply that to many tasks I do .... except for ironing .... there's no reward big enough to compensate for the hell that is "ironing"

p.s .... you have to makes lists when you're older anyway, 'cause otherwise you forget everything! Posted Image