xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JimiHex

Ipv6 Help

well what is ipv6 to begin with that would help us out, like me for instance :D.trying reading it again but by paragraphs so you you can get a better understanding of it.

Interesting! :D 1000 times more... That will be the day.Where did you read about this? and what is it exactly?This could turn out to be another flop on the go! :D

hi,IPV6 is already in use. It is so designed so that both IPv4 and IPv6 can co exist till the time IPv4 addresses are discarded.basically it is the addressing sytem over the internet. Every device on the net has an IP address, even ur system when it connects to the net. That is how routing takes place from source to destination and back going through multiple intermediate nodes.IPv4 used 32 bits for addressing. whereas IPv6 uses 128 bits for addressing. This was needed because all the addresses possible by IPv4 would soon be exhausted.(it was not expected when it was designed).IPv6 has an address space which would be huge and would be possible to assign more than 1 address to every point(dont remember the term) on earth.Cheers.

Now everyone in the world is using IPv4 to connect to each other to the internet or a local network. IP (Internet Protocol) address are unique addresses that can only be assigned to 1 connected device each.

The current IP address is differentiated into classes according to their submask:
255.000.000.000 - Class A : used for interconnecting backbone routers and switches for the Internet, also used by huge/govermental agencies that require large base network (e.g. NASA, Area 51 etc)
255.255.000.000 - Class B : used by huge companies that require a large base network (e.g. Microsoft, Cisco etc.)
255.255.255.000 - Class C : used for interconnecting backbone routers and swithes in a network
255.255.255.255 - Class D : for each connect device (e.g. a computer connected to a router)
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - Class E : for further research and development

IP addresses are valid for use on a normal connected device are bounded within the range of xxx.xxx.xxx.000 to xxx.xxx.xxx.255, hence each class can have 255 connected clients on a network in each class. These classes are futher broken down into subnets to allow more connected devices just like switches that allows more connection into 1 backbone.

The world's network is growing fast and huge quickly hence there is a need for a new way of addressing to allow more connected devices. Hence IPv6 is implemented, which not only consist of numbers but also alphabets, becoming alphanumeric addressing or simply hexedecimals. This therefore allow even more connected devices.

This is just a brief introduction about IPv6 because I study them as part of my course in school.
There are alot more about backbone networks which you guys can find on the internet.
Here are some of them :
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipv6

PS : There might be mistakes in this post because I'm still new to it.. Just happened that I studied its basics in my school...

Omg, no one recommended my article :). Here is the link if your interested:

IPV4 vs. IPV6

I will summarize it for you cuz its quite a read. Basically, IPV4 uses a 32 bit system which allows 4,294,967,296 unique addresses(IP's). IPV6 uses a 128 bit system which allows 340-undecillion (34, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000) addresses.

IPV6 in my opinion will be phased in slowly. The reason for this is because there is a shortage in IP addresses but we still haven't reached the cap with the IPV4 system. However, simple math can tell us why IPV6 was created.

6 billionish people = 6 billionish computers != 4 billionish IP addresses

You might think that 340 undecillion is quite a lot of ip addresses. But as we grow in population and technology all items will start gaining IP addresses. Soon mobile phones will have IP addresses if they don't have them already. Kitchen appliances that can be run remotely will need a physical address, etc. And it was another measure to make sure we never have a shortage.