xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
negativezero

How To Create Java Button Or Frame to be customized

hi to all!!!!just like to ask if it would be possible if i could make a custom button or frame in java. i got tired of using the build infeatures in java.i would like to create my own dessign of button or frame..can it be possible!!! :( thank!!!! :D

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
New Help In! is NOT a descriptive topic title. Next time you decide not to follow the posting rules, you will be issued a week long ban.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

hi to all!!!!

just like to ask if it would be possible if i could make a custom button or frame in java.

i got tired of using the build infeatures in java.

i would like to create my own dessign of button or frame..

can it be possible!!! :D

I'm not really sure what it is you want.

Java has a "look and feel" (LAF) as they call it, which can be switched. Normal Swing apps default to a certain look and feel which usually isn't too good looking. However you can change the look and feel used.

If you do mean the "look and feel", then the answer is that you can pick your own look and feel and plug it into your java app. You will have to bundle the LAF jar with whatever you are making obviously, because otherwise people will just get the "standard" look and feel.

Just google around for 'java "look and feel"' and you should be able to find plenty. Thow in the word "tutorial" and you'll no doubt find out exactly how to make your app use the look and feel you want it to.

But I'm not sure that is what you meant, if you meant something else, just say so :D

You can use a code that links to a picture or button link. But the image has to be uploaded onto you database. Just depends on what you want to do. I use html to make buttons and upload the pics to my database. That is the best way to do it in my ipinion. Just use a webmaster database and search for the answer. That is what I do. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Have you tried a tutorial? You can always use those. Just use a search engine. That should give you the best answer. A tutorial that is.

You're being kind of vague, so I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but here are some neat things you can do with a JButton:

Let's assume we have a JButton called myButton.

This changes the font:

String name = "Serif"; //"Serif", "SansSerif", "Monospaced", or a font nameint style = Font.ITALIC //Font.ITALIC, Font.BOLD, or Font.BOLD | Font.ITALICint size = 14 //any number sizemyButton.setFont(new Font(name, style, size));
Change colors:
myButton.setForeground(new Color(255,0,0)); //changes font color (in this case makes it red)myButton.setBackground(new Color(0,0,255)); //changes background color (in this case blue)
Disable, reenable:
myButton.setEnabled(false);myButton.setEnabled(true);
Add an image to display if it's enabled, or disabled:
ImageIcon ico = new ImageIcon("picture.gif"); //any imagemyButton.setIcon(ico);ImageIcon ico2 = new ImageIcon("otherpicture.gif");myButton.setDisabledIcon(ico2);
Make the button plain text (but still a button):
button.setBorderPainted(false);DDT TJ 08: button.setFocusPainted(false);

I'm not quite sure what you mean but I've dug up a few java projects in the past and I saw this code. To change the over-all look-and feel of your buttons (including the whole frame) just call these functions like this:

WindowUtilities.setJavaLookAndFeel();

import java.awt.*;import java.awt.event.*;import javax.swing.*;public class WindowUtilities {  //WINDOWS (or whatever your OS is) LOOK -->  WINDOWS BUTTONS  public static void setNativeLookAndFeel() {    try {      UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName());    } catch(Exception e) {      System.out.println("Error setting native LAF: " + e);    }  }  //JAVA LOOK -->  JAVA BUTTONS   public static void setJavaLookAndFeel() {    try {      UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.getCrossPlatformLookAndFeelClassName());    } catch(Exception e) {      System.out.println("Error setting Java LAF: " + e);    }  }   //DARK RED COLOR-->  COOLER-LOOKING BUTTONS!  public static void setMotifLookAndFeel() {    try {      UIManager.setLookAndFeel("com.sun.java.swing.plaf.motif.MotifLookAndFeel");    } catch(Exception e) {      System.out.println("Error setting Motif LAF: " + e);    }  }}

Now if you only need to change the buttons You can try to include an image in your button. By doing this:
buttonName.setIcon(new ImageIcon("images/btn1.gif"));

u can extend from JButton and set your wishes in constructer than whenever u want your button u can create itclass MyButton extends JButton{ public MyButton(){ write your wishes here }}//then create it anywherenew MyButton();

u can extend from JButton and set your wishes in constructer than whenever u want your button u can create it
class MyButton extends JButton{
public MyButton(){
write your wishes here

}

}

//then create it anywhere

new MyButton();

Yes i would Prefer this way because its much easier than doing a own Look and Feel but when you create a own look and Feel you can change the Design of all Buttons in you Programm even the Buttons that are used in the programm bevore you created the new Look and Feel

i have a question too
he wanted to set up a background image to his new Button how can i do this? when i extend From "JButton" ?

i have a question too he wanted to set up a background image to his new Button how can i do this? when i extend From "JButton" ?

Ahh, subclassing, one of my favorite custom component strategy. To use background images, you probably have to mess with the void paint(Graphics g) method. Just draw the image before drawing everything else. :D

You can use a code that links to a picture or button link. But the image has to be uploaded onto you database. Just depends on what you want to do. I use html to make buttons and upload the pics to my database. That is the best way to do it in my ipinion. Just use a webmaster database and search for the answer. That is what I do. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Have you tried a tutorial? You can always use those. Just use a search engine. That should give you the best answer. A tutorial that is.

Hi ,what did you meant when u said that u upload pics on database? Cuz i have same aproach i build buttons in html but only problem is i dunno how to upload them to page.If i try "paste code" in dreamweaver my page becoms all screwed up :-) Ty

What I have included below is code for a custom frame. The essentail thing about it is that by using the method setUndecorated you are able to remove the borders and the close and minimize buttons that come automatically when you call the constructor for JFrame. What this then allows you to do is to essentially have a panel as in a normal JPanel, so long as you remember to add to the container object. The customizations that you can do to it are exactly as with the JPanel. The only thing about this is that it is costly. Because the buttons that you add are going to have to have action listeners that allow them the perform the functionality of the buttons that you have removed. Also the frame does not move as normally when you press the mouse and move it on top of it. This the JPanel in this case "p" will have to have a mouse listener to capture mouse pressed events and a mouse motion listener to listen to drag events.

/* * CustomFrame.java * * Created on January 5, 2007, 6:21 PM * * To change this template, choose Tools | Template Manager * and open the template in the editor. */package customframe;import java.awt.Color;import java.awt.Container;import java.awt.Dimension;import java.awt.FlowLayout;import javax.swing.*;/** * * @author P1249 */public class CustomFrame extends JFrame{		/** Creates a new instance of CustomFrame */	public CustomFrame() {				int h = 50;				int h1 = h - 10;				int w = h;				this.setUndecorated(true);		 		setSize(500,500);				Container container = getContentPane();				JPanel p = new JPanel(new FlowLayout(FlowLayout.RIGHT));				p.setBackground(new Color(200,200,150));				p.setPreferredSize(new Dimension(500,h));				JButton button_1 = new JButton("_");				button_1.setPreferredSize(new Dimension(w,h1));				p.add(button_1);				JButton button_2 = new JButton("x");				button_2.setPreferredSize(new Dimension(w,h1));				p.add(button_2);				container.add(p,"North");				setVisible(true);	}		/**	 * @param args the command line arguments	 */	public static void main(String[] args) {		// TODO code application logic here				new CustomFrame();			}	}

Notice from saint-michael:
how code has to be placed in either the code bb tag or codebox bb tag.

upload code

How To Create Java Button Or Frame

Write a programme to upload file in datebase or ms excess.

-reply by rashmi

How to remove the maximize button from the frame or to set a fixed size for a frame at the center of the monitor with a fixed size-reply by salish

more text in dialog box

I want to create the dialog box that will accept the userid and password from user check it and go to other form by using dialog box not frame.

-question by salish

what with all customize?

How can I make my own customized button and put it in my program (JAVA)

Let's say I have predone program with a button and I have done my one button picture in Photoshop (and let's say it's form is a circle)

How can I change the regular look of a windows button or java button to this my own.

What code do I need?

-reply by solomon

displaying a messagebox

Replying to iGuest

You can use

JOptionPane.ShowMessageDialog(null,"YOUR MESSAGE HERe!!","NAME OF TITLE BAR HERE!!",JOptionPane.PLAIN_MESSAGE);//you can use JOptionPane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE if you want an information icon,JOptionPane.ERROR_MESSAGE if you want an error icon,JOptionPane.WARNING_MESSAGE if you want a warning icon, JOptionPane.QUESTION_MESSAGE if you want to pose a question to he user

-reply by joseph