xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Some Interesting Info About A Hypernova's i will explain

well i was looking at this site when i used some info pertaining to another topic on the forum, i saw something about hypernova, well that peek my interest since im a astronomy buff so i want to share with you this wonderful info.

what is a hypernova? a hypernova is basically a supernova but alot more powerful here is a description from wilkpedia about it

A hypernova is a theoretical type of supernova produced when exceptionally large stars collapse at the end of their lifespan. In a hypernova, the core of the star collapses directly into a black hole and two extremely energetic jets of plasma are emitted from its rotational poles at nearly light speed. These jets emit intense gamma rays, and are a candidate explanation for gamma ray bursts.

and then the next question would have to be what would happen if one happen near us? well lets just say we have a buffer zone of 3,000 lightyears to pretty much wipeout earth from the atmosphere to the core of the earth here are some figures of what kind of damage it could do:

The initial bombardment would immediately destroy the ozone layer and detonate the atmosphere akin to that of the simultaneous discharging, at the bare minimum, of one-kiloton of TNT per km^2, over the whole hemisphere facing the phenomenon. Ionization, the separation of atoms via gaining energy and losing electrons, would take place converting the oxygen and nitrogen in the atmosphere into nitrogen dioxide. Before covering the Earth in a black cloud comparable to that of urban smog, the sky would burst into flames and fireballs, creating global storms of acid rain and possibly fire. However, before all of the previous occurred, the actual radiation would hit the surface. The radiation energy level would be roughly around 10^4 to 10^7 eV (electron volts). If compared to a standard medical x-ray machine's 200,000 eV (and needing a protective lead vest), you get up to 1 million times the radiation! Radiation affects high atomic-number elements more. The most abundant high atomic-number elements in biological organisms are calcium and potassium. These two elements are utilized in muscle function, and ionizing radiation would cause extreme cramping of muscles, making a rather stiff and painful, but quick death.

then the next question would be how often does it happen?

The rough estimate is every 200 million years

well lucky for use were past that mark and that the closest star for that to happen is 7,500 lightyears away which means that it won't affect us at all just fry everything thats in orbit of the earth, which means satellite tv will be gone all telescopes gone, mir would crash to the earth (possibly)

well my opnion would e bring it on, i rather see that or a comet or an asteroid hitting us then man made destroying earth, but in my luck i won''t see it happen.

if you want to read the whole article go to this website http://www.armageddononline.org/hypernova.php

would be interested what people think about this topic and other planetray disaters that could happen to us.

Interesting. TIME TO STOCK UP ON ICE CREAM!

Maybe this can explain some of the things like how one day the sky rained fire, or even some things from the bible?Then again this is scary, to know if it were to happen, we couldnt do anything about it but wait for our deaths...!!!! :)

a bit scary tough... :) luckyly it happen extremely rare and far from our galaxy.What? Will fry anything in our orbits? Ow man that's terribleMy lovely hubble telescope ;)

Stephen Hawking's. And don't write it wrong ever again!Back on topic...if it happened, we couldn't do anything to prevent it... though luck for ya if you were in the radius of one :D

saint now that you know about hypernovas, learn that the sun is a star :D but you said "the closest star for that to happen" do you mean that the sun cant go boom and shred our planet into bits?

This is quite interesting. I also like to read about astonomy and space stuff. I think that our sun has a little while yet before it super or hypernovas. I think that we would have to worry more about solar storms or the planet's poles switching on us. I talked about this a little bit in my site blog along with my rant about global warming. I think we as humans probably will destroy the earth way before any of those big disasters happen but you never know. Who know the earth might spontaneously spew us off lol. :D Okay I am being a little obnoxious.

sorry my friend but links which you have given are actually not working properly...they are not having the contents which you have mentioned here.....the blog is not having any content at all.i hope you'll fix it soon so that we will be able to read the information you wanted to give us :D

saint now that you know about hypernovas, learn that the sun is a star :) but you said "the closest star for that to happen" do you mean that the sun cant go boom and shred our planet into bits?

well the sun can't go boom. it's simply not massive enough. the smallest star to be theoretically possible to supernova is nearly ten times the start mass of the sun. The sun will eventually kill everything on this miserable little planet though. eventually when it runs out of hydrogen it will become a "red giant" star. it will expand to about the radius of earth's orbit, thereby eating the earth. but everything will be dead by then. as the sun gets older it get's hotter (global warming anyone) and we will eventually fall out of the band that will support life around the sun. our red neighbor, on the other hand will be just entering the band at this time so we may be able to jump there.