xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sonyguy

Upgraded Internet Speed From 576 Kbps to 2.2 Mbps

Well, just now I was disconnected from the internet and I was like what the heck (at this time I was connected at 576 Kbps), then when I connected again I was at 2.2Mbps. My ISP didn't even tell me I was getting updgraded, I'm so happy now anway ;)It is actually quite a bit quicker at downloading and loading pages.

That doesnt seem like something an isp would do, especially without letting you know first. Hope the bill doesnt increase.

The same thing happened to me, although we just switched to 2.2mb service, its so nice to be able to download 200 mb files in 15 minutes, and moan at everyone else for lagging ;)

i give 5:! odds on a increase to the bill since they are putting more resources in for a faster connnection to the net.

They did that with me too, only they alerted me first. I'm up to ~2.2-2.8 mbs now.(Right now, I have Azureus running with ~30 torrents, so it's feeling very, very sluggish ;) . At one time, when I had 50 torrents running, I clocked my rate at 33kbs!)

LOL. If that happened to me, I'd probably feast.Too bad it'll never happen. I'm using Dial-up. Prepaid dial-up. Plus, our technology here is only from Dial-up, Broadband, Satellite, and DSL. There might be more, but I'm sure we don't have much. Although, I'd like to get those fast ones :drool: I don't have enough money. ;)

ISPs do that all the time. It's not unusual for an ISP to upgrade their services from time to time. For example, the standard High-Speed here in Canada for Rogers internet, IIRC, was 2Mbits. But then it got upgrade to 3Mbits. Then they released a deal that in short, stated that if one were to buy a modem from them, they'd upgrade you to 6Mbits free of charge. It's all marketing. And since every-now-and-then resources tend to get cheaper-and-cheaper, eventually it's cost efficient and sound for your image as a company to upgrade people's services free of charge.

You probably love that company now. And you'll most likely be sticking with them for a longer time now. Am I right?

Ah, gotta love clever marketing schemes. Especially when they work to your benefit. Everyone wins, so that's good. Have fun. ;)

I myself am running on 6Mbits. But I know of some countries (Sweden?) where the standard home-line is 100Mbits for the same price I get my 6Mbits here in Canada. I'd sell my soul for the kind of service. :D

My provider doesn't tell me when they change they jsut do it. Mines Comcast... Its a leading corporation and they dont bother telling anybody. My download is like 4mb and upload is 400kb. I think thats pretty good and if you get tier your speed is 6mb download and 750mb upload. Its pretty cool. Very fsat for sure though.

This is all down to BT upgrading the telephone exchanges to the fastest speeds possible. Most ISPs are allowing people to upgrade to a faster speed for nothing or a very small fee. The speed depends on your distance from the exchange. If you live near it, some people are saying they have speeds of 4 or 5 mbps. I live miles away (I'm actually in a different county to my exchange) so I only got upgraded to 1.1mbps. You should get an email or phone call telling you all about it.

Well, even if the bill increases it'll be fine. I like having my connection at this speed, it's great, downloads are so quick ;)Still waiting on a reply from them... *starts building card tower*

One of the ISP in my country also gives surprise upgrades to their services to grab more trust and loyalty of the customers.Recently they upgraded all of their 1500kpbs users to 3000kbps without even notifying them.It's only like when everyone has been upgraded then the ISP releases the news.It was like one to two months later before announcement..