xisto Community
Cain

Which Free Forum Is The Best To Use? Please add your input.

Which of the following forum types do you think is the overall best?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm looking for a forum for my gaming clan and I'm not familiar enough to know which would be my best choice. I also think it'd be difficult to go through each one and try to evaluate them all individually. So basically, I'm asking all of you to tell me which forum you like the most. I'm looking for something that's free and preferably adless (although I'm not sure how many of those exist). So please tell me everything you can about them and why you support the one that you do. Also, if you vote 'Other' remember to say what kind. :P Thanks alot for your help.

PB is by far the worst board period IMO, never heard of BoardNation.phpBB is good, but I just never got into it really, IMO the best forum out of those is invision, its just plain sexy, has easy to learn(for me atleast and people I've talked to) options, control, ect.

Invision is a nice board system, if you have the money to pay for it or you have a host that offers it with their hosting package. But if you wanted a FREE board that can be customized just as much as Invision and you want reliability, I would go with phpBB, especially when their new version comes out. I've always gone with phpBB simply because it's free and very customizable, not to mention they are always quick with bug fixes and hacker problems. I'm still waiting on the new version that has yet to be released. It sounds like the best free bulletin board yet! P.S. Invision and InvisionFree are not run by the same company if I remember right, but I could be mistaken...

Hmm, well if you're lookin for free, I'd say InvisionFree, it's really simple to use and you can use CSS code for it. You can also customize your buttons like "Reply" "NNP"(no new posts) "NP" and such.If you're looking for paid(doubt it) I'd go with phpbb, it's got FTP upload(?) so you can upload better scripts for it. Plus, PHPBB scripts are a lot easy to find to your likeing compared to IF.But for a gaming clan, just go with invision free, it's free, simple, and easy to moderate.

I think I may go with phpbb, because they gave me a link on their site to freebb.com which seems to be free phpbb without the ads. From what you guys have said phpbb seems to be a strong choice, but Invision sounds nice too, except that you have to pay for it?Also, does InvisionFree have ads or is it ad-free, because if it's ad-free then I might look more into it as well.

Well, I've personally adjusted to liking phpBB best. Though of the list on the Poll, I've only used two; phpBB and InvisionBoard. But I like phpBB, I find it simple enough to use and effective enough for a decent forum. :P

The best package has phpBB but to learn is invisionfree the best because by invisionfree you has meany options to do.And with that options you could learn a very bit.The problem is by invisionfree if you never has maked a forum.You don't get far with it.You must start with phpBB that is easy you MUST self make a forum.Because if you don't you not learn much.If you have experience with css-styles and php you could go to invisionfree.There you can do the most.And what also is good is VBulletin you has to paid for it.But the last time you can download at some sites.But I recommend VBullletin it is good.But I think it don't stand by the poll choices..

i totally recommend phpbb but if you like something that coems with portal and all diff pages (CMS) e107 is a good one to use :P hehe but by now i think you would hv created your forum..

In fact, I'm about to go and make one. Because I've seen quite a bit of support for phpbb, I think I will try that one first and if for some reason I am not satisfied with that, I will try a different type. Thank you all for helping and putting in your suggestions. I appreciate your help.

I like to use Phpbb and host it on my own server but sometimes Phpbb fails me....Anyway, adding Add-ons are fun but you need to back-up your files first, anything could go wrong. What i like about phpbb the most is because of many skins and addons

Well... i think the best one is XMB... if you like phpBB.. feel free to try it.. i think you will be pissed off because of the stupid security exploits hacks... many people always hack phpBB.. i suggest trying out something new... :P

I would personally go for phpBB for general ease of use, and overall goodness, I do however like invisionfree is probably technically better, I like the freedom that is offered by phpBB, as it is a free product not a free version of a comercial product and as such you have more freedom to theme and to 'enhance' the functionality of the forum.