xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kvarnerexpress

Page Content Shifts In Different Browsers

The content on my pages either shifts or looks recognizably different between IE and Mozilla Firefox browsers. I formatted the text with css classes hopping that might help. However, that didn't help this problem. The page doesn't look the same in IE and Mozilla Firefox. What can I do to fix this?Thanks, kvarnerexpress

The way IE displays its pages are completely different with the way FF displays its pages. FF uses standard html, while IE kinda does it's own thing. If you're trying to make your site look the same in both browsers, that's basically impossible. I suggest just sticking with one way, by picking the browser you use mostly, or the browsers your visitors use mostly, and just modify the html just for that browser. And then put on your site "best viewed with: **".

IE does display pages differently, although there are many work arounds to display pages the same in IE and FF.I have just finished doing the CSS for my site. It originally looked totally different in IE and FF. FF looked exactly as it should, but IE moved everything around, which ended up shifting things to different lines and wrecking the entire layout.After a bit of tweaking it now looks perfect in each browser I have tried it on (IE 5 and 6, FF 0.8 and 1.0.4, Mozilla).Also, if you are really desperate you can use javascript to make the page use a different CSS sheet depending on the browser, although this sometimes doesn't work and can cause more problems than it solves.

There's no need to force users to use one broswer or another, you can use CSS Hacks to make your page render the same in both broswers.If you want, I can look over your coding and fix it. PM me.whyme