xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Joshua

Real Sports chess, golf, figure skating?

What do you consider a "real" sport? Do you consider things like chess, golf, and figure skating sports even if they might be called such or be in the Olympics? Why or why not?

If there is physical actuivity involved, then yes i consider it a sport. Therefore, golf and figure skating are sports but chess is not. I mean, golf definitely is a sport for one because it is an activity that takes tons of hours to get good at and it is played outdoors and surprisingly it works many muscles in your body (esp. if you walk the course). Figure Skating is a bit different. Since you are skating and jumping and such you do get physical fitness from it so it is a sport but it is more finess than many other main stream sports. However, it does take a ton of talent to do. SO that is why i consider them sports and what i define as a sport. Physical fitness makes a sport.

If there is physical actuivity involved, then yes i consider it a sport. Therefore, golf and figure skating are sports but chess is not. I mean, golf definitely is a sport for one because it is an activity that takes tons of hours to get good at and it is played outdoors and surprisingly it works many muscles in your body (esp. if you walk the course). Figure Skating is a bit different. Since you are skating and jumping and such you do get physical fitness from it so it is a sport but it is more finess than many other main stream sports. However, it does take a ton of talent to do. SO that is why i consider them sports and what i define as a sport. Physical fitness makes a sport.

155205[/snapback]

So then doing push ups by yourself could be a sport? Is ballet a sport too then?

In some (most) cases, I think if it demands physical ability, it should be called a sport. But some people are going to be different from others and have their own opinions on stuff like golf or figure skating.Man "A" may believe that horse shoes should be a sport, while Man "B" does not believe that horse shoes should be a sport. It just depends on how peoples opinions differ. To each person their own on these cases is what I say.

In some (most) cases, I think if it demands physical ability, it should be called a sport. But some people are going to be different from others and have their own opinions on stuff like golf or figure skating.

Man "A" may believe that horse shoes should be a sport, while Man "B" does not believe that horse shoes should be a sport. It just depends on how peoples opinions differ. To each person their own on these cases is what I say.

155320[/snapback]

I suppose if fitness is required for it there's an argument for it being called a sport at least... How chess can be an Olympic "sport" is beyond me though. With golf or pool I think of them more as games since the level of fitness required is such that 80 year old guys can play them. You can be in a wheelchair sitting down and play pool. You can be driven around in a golf cart between holes but be so fat you can't play any of the main sports like basketball, baseball, etc...

My questions with ballet and figure skating and even diving rely on the level of competition since it depends on ratings by others. You heard of all the controversy over bad judging by the judges in the Olympics over a certain event last year I'm sure. And one person in particular being called to give up their medals because of it. Races you can determine by who crosses the line. Sports are determined by points or goals or runs. But I tend to question things with a very low level of fitness required or where judging determines a winner.

1a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.1b. A particular form of this activity.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.

From http://www.dictionary.com/

If you take chess and apply rule 2 here then you can see that chess doesn't qualify as a sport as it doesn't involve any "physical exertion", but chess and other sports/games are always governed by a set of rules. Almost all of these events are undertaken competitively at some point (like the Olympics). But all of the above (figure skating, golf, chess etc.) are active pasttimes. Therefore, if you take the offical stance, they are actually sports.

Chess is it a sport?

Real Sports

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.

See also http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I personally think it is.

-reply by Homer Jarvis

Darts or Tiddlywinks may be considered sport by some.. But the former, Darts is more of a Pub sport which requires co-ordination with the eye, and the use of the hand. Lawn Bowls.. which generally considered as a "oldies" sport, is being taken up by youngsters those days, mainly for fun. But the older Lawn bowls competitors are generally in competitions as such.

Just tried a bit of bowls the other day. Whilst fun, its something I probably wouldnt like to do in the long term. Seems okay for a social day together with friends and/or family, or a work and/or organisational gathering as well after a few beers, drink and food.

Activity that governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively is called sports. It is not necessary that physical capabilities of the competitor will be the sole or primary determiner of winning or losing, but mental acuity or equipment quality may be the major factor.So, things like chess, golf, and figure skating are must be real sports. Care Race is also real sports where equipment quality is the major factor.