xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
alexia

Help For Network Needed HELP

I need some help for networking.I have two computers, connected by network.Comp1 is connected using ethernetComp2 is connected using wireless B.Both computers can access the net, but could not log on to each other's shared folder.Each comp. can't see the other in Workgroup computers.Both comp. uses Windows XP Home Ed. with SP2....plz help :rolleyes:

Before I write instruction in detail, I'm assuming you can navigate through Windows XP, i.e. where network connection, property of my computer.In order for you to "connect" to each computer you first set the same name of Workgroup to both computers. Computer names can be different or the same, but I'd suggest different so you can tell them apart, but the Workgroup MUST be the same.You then, MUST designate at least one folder/drive to share. This is done though right-clicking and selecting share option.If both computers can't see each other, just reboot and give it a few seconds to "talk" to each other. And that's it! And since you are (?) using a router or a switch of some sort to share the internet connection, you don't have to worry about using any other settings.Let us know how it goes.

hi, alexia, is it you are sure using windows xp sp2, if so, you have to turn off your firewall first, or open some port for windows smb protocol to get in and out. both case, go control panel and search for windows firewall setting, then, either turn it off or open port number for 137, 138, 139, 443 and may be 135 also. and then following the procedure stated in above post.P.S. I think two computer need not the same workgroup name but the computer name of each other must be different, coz microsoft smb protocol actually use netbios to commuicate with each other and more important is, YOU HAVE THE TWO COMPUTER NEED BE WITHIN THE SAME IP ADDRESS SUB-NET RANGE. IF NOT DOING SO, otherwise, you got failed. for instance, most bb router be given ip address sub-net range for 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.254 ( 192.168.0.0 not use for this network and 192.168.0.255 not used for this net boardcase), however, this range is changable.- hope this help

TCP/IP is not a problem. They both can access the net from the same connection right? Make sure they're in the same working group. And the correct routing table.ps. Are they connected to the same routor?PPS connected to different router=Broadcasting doesn't work

Hi,This is probably a very simple problem (I have it everytime I redo my network). All you have to do is rerun the Network setup in the control panel and it the two computers should start seeing each other. MAKE SURE THEY ARE STILL IN THE SAME WORKGROUP!!!