xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Milli Riba

Age Of Empires II

Yeah. Age of Empires 2 is one of the best games. I got hooked on Age of Empires 1 and then followed by Age of Empires 2 and the expansion. But after I upgraded to Win XP, I could not play anymore. Is there any fix for this? Please advise.600k people playing at any one time? Are you sure about this? Did you get your figures right? It would be awesome if this were true.-Shackman

Yeah, Age of Empires II is a pretty good game. I wouldn't say it's the best RTS game, however. I've always been a fan of the C&C series, and have always prefered C&C style gameplay. C&C1 and RA2 were probably two of my favorite RTS's.Age of Empires had something of a educational appeal which made every mom buy it. For some reason, everybody, gamer or not, has had this game since they were 10. Maybe that's why so many people still play it--many of those people may be non-gamers.

Shackman, I have run Age of Empires 2 in windows xp without any trouble at all. What error are you getting when you try to run it. If you can narrow things down a bit it might be possible to find a fix for it so you can get it running again. If nothing comes of it here, it's probably worth browsing an Age of Empires forum to see if people have come across it there at any stage and what they have done to fix it. Good luck getting it to work.

It has a very good balance between all the different elements so that no individual part feels too strained. I did find it sometimes became a little too defensive for my tastes, but once you got used to it and worked out strategies to get past the defences it evened out a bit.

I used to be wholly addicted to Age II, played it every spare moment for a year straight. The economy system/structure seems to be a lot more complicated than the other RTS's which were popular at the time (ie Warcraft II, StarCraft, C&C Red Alert), although I have had fun with those games as well.Only think I didn't like was the variation of the civ's, didn't seem visual enough, sure you had your European/Asian/Middle East sets, but I would have liked more than that. Obviously what Ensemble did with balancing was very good, and each civ is handled well. I know a lot of clans who moved from AgeII -> AoM and found it to be an unsuccessful venture, as AoM was not as easily accessible as AoEII was.

This is still one of my favorite games of all time, and with god reason. When you think of RTS today, Age of Empires comes to mind. Though it wasn't the first, and definately not the last, it was probably the most ingenious and thought out RTS game...ever.Age of Empires 2 is even miles above its predecessor. The best thing about it was the different civilizations. They were all balenced to perfection and yet gave a uniquness to gameplay that I have only ever found with this game. Also, online play is brilliant. There's nothing like playing your arch rival (usually a friend) over the intenet and after a long fought battle crushing him in defeat with your superior stragety skills :rolleyes: I just can't say enough about this game. The only thing I come away with is a hope for an even better AOE 3.

Hey Guys, im not noob but admin thought i hacked Trapo so they deleted my account, but i will talk to them on Msn soon but anyway, play in the competitions, I was ranked third for a while them i retiired cause 1 and 2 are asians and will never lose but play competitions it beats playing ams all the time. All competitor games are supervised and they are all either points after 2 hours if both players agree or until one person is totally defeated, I have an honorary rank of 3rd so im not 3rd any more, i cruise round as Cooky.Cya

I've never been a huge fan of playing games like this in competitions. i just find it more fun to get a group of friends online and play with/against them. It just makes it a little bit more fun when you know the person you're busy wiping out. It was even better at university when we would play across a lan with room doors open and could talk to each other as we played without needing anything so complicated as headsets or microphones.

AOE 2 was, and will always remain the king of RTS, they can try with their stupid AoM, RoN and all the rest of those crappy copies of AOE, but they all lack a critical element: Fun Gameplay! and in AOE2, that was represented by Medieval, playing with sowrdsmen, archers, knights, and so on, that just gave me a kick!

I used to play this game quite alot years ago when I got it. Unfortunatly I got a fat scratch on my CD and can no longer play it so I would spend my time playing Age Of Empires 1 instead.

Well this game is one of the best games that were ever made in my opinion, but i am sad, because i cant play it anymore in windows xp:( it just doesnt want to run!!ANYONE KNOWS WHAT COULD BE WRONG OR HAS THE SAME PROBLEMS???

Well  this game is one of the best games that were ever made in my opinion, but i am sad, because i cant play it anymore in windows xp:( it just doesnt want to run!!

ANYONE KNOWS WHAT COULD BE WRONG OR HAS THE SAME PROBLEMS???

66534[/snapback]

Never had any problems with AoE2 (or AoE) on WinXP. I thought since it was a Microsoft product they'd try and make it as compatible as possible :)

Have you tried the option which allows you to run it in Win (95,98,ME,2000) mode?

Maybe a fresh install could help too? Or if worse comes to worse you could see if there was a problem with your CD and get a CD crack...

Age of Empires II...now that was one addictive game, I played for ages, it was just too good to put down. In my opinion it is the best RTS of all time. It had the best layout ever and the civilisations were well thought out and everything in it seemed to work well. You fought long battles, hoping to defeat the enemies and claim victory above all, or fall against the might of the overpowering enemy. Truly it was a great game. Even if I haven't played it in ages (lost the cd :))I'll always remember how good it was and always like the game.