xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shackman

Low Disk Space Pop-up Ballon

Well, there are ways to stop it happening, but it is not a good idea, for a start, it is always good to have some spare space (Microsoft recommend 200MB for windows XP) to keep everything running smoothly, applications often write temporary data, or smaller files which do add up.The best thing to do is to - get rid of one or more applications you dont use - transfer some files to other storage - compress stuff you rarely use - delete files you no longer need (like music you no longer listen to, or video files you no longer watch)Another thing you could do, is backup some things online, try windows live skydrive, they offer a free 5GB online storage space with all LIVE accounts!

To your problem of this low disk space pop up ballon, I have two options in place: Try using a portable hard drive to store your data, Secondly you can use compression to store your files, you will get this windows option in the disk management wizard. After you enable it, your files will be stored in a compressed way on the hard drive. Third option is sorting out the data you have on your hard drive and using space in a wise manner. Hope you find it useful.

I won't repeat the previous few repliers, I'll just add another small way with which you can free up a half a gig on Windows® I think. You can do that if you disable hibernation, but that's not recommended if you have a laptop, because you'll maybe need that feature in the future.

Or you could... y'know...

Download Ubuntu

Boot from it.

Format C:

Install

Enjoy! :P