xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
varunone

The Gmail Story The ever increasing size of gmail

We all know that keeps expanding ... but is really happening ? Do we really have an unlimited account with google ?Actually Gmail is increasing the rate in such a way that on their 3rd aniversary the size is exactly 3GB. When they will give you an additional 1 GB and finally stop at 4GB. So i believe this account is finally going to be around 4gb in size and then from their 4th aniv onwards they'll be giving new features besides normal e-mail. So you see its all a game of numbers. And there are some rumours that Gmail will also go public on their 3rd aniv ... Whats next ? G-hosting ? ... please please .. :-DCheers

I don't really know about that, but Google is creating itself very large and very fast. Gmail is a great Email account but I don't feel comfortable with there controls. But otherwise it works very good, I do suspect they will have a hosting service like "Geocities". I don't see why Gmail isn't a public thing? there's already like 1436425746 people who joined it. But i've made money selling invites to people at my school :D

how much ever it increases, it is never going to make a big diff,, coz people are not going to use it up, yes, a hosting service would be cool, but that would be adsense sogged, so i dont think ther is a point, but yeah, and a reason they havent gone public, have you read the four letter word written under the gmail logo?? if you havent go try it... gmail is a great service, but it wont be the best until it give side-by-side services such as a messenger, sms, and better organization features, which i believe, sucks in gmail....... anyway,, google is capable of shocking everyone,, so dont be suprised if you see a product named "gmessenger" on their labs list.. would love it tho!!!!

Since I got gmail I only use hotmail for MSN Messenger, hotmail itself blows, slow, ads, *BLEEP* etc. I dont think Google has the space for 3 gb mail accounts YET, but they're always growing and I'm sure when it gets there google will be ready for it. It isnt really Beta in my eyes, if Gmail would really be beta hotmail would be pre-alpha ;[

Come to think of it there really nothing special about G-mail, besides the huge amount of space it gives.The intire interface is downloaded onto your computer by the browser. This itself makes the entire thing very unsafe. Fine today it might seem very secure and it is. But tomorrow some one is surely going to figure some way of hacking it. Since everything is lying there on you harddisk any virus in your computer can surely attack the codes that gets downloaded. Its just a matter of time till some one thinks about it and then does something to exploit this !Now that yahoo is also giving 1gb i prefer using yahoo, it seems more secure and in cyber cafes or public access computers, where they delete the cookies and other offline content, yahoo opens faster than g-mail. I know many will have alternate experiences but this is the case for me here on a dial-up connection.And seriously are we ever going to use 1gb of space. The only way we do so is if we never delete any mail that we ever get. But is this not a way of increasing Junk on the internet ?Also tomorrow if someone really hacks in to our g-mail account he'll know what we have been doing or planning by reading the history of mails that we never deleted. I believe that one should never leave mails for too long on any public or private servers.As far as messenger is concerned i think MSN people are very nice and considerate, they have allowed people to use msn as well as microsoft messengers with any email account now, even gmail.My msm messenger id is @gmail.com and not hotmail.Windows messenger has always been better than MSN messenger, simply because of the fact that MSN has lot of ads which might slow down the connection specially on dialup. But the good thing is that Windows Messenger is still available and updated regularly.There are lot of other options though, like trillian but then its always a matter of opinion, Like for me, i think yahoo is the best ... it allows offliners as well as the interface is small and nice. Though yahoo if also moving in steps of msn when it comes to adverts ... but still it allows them to be optional in the new version.

OK well i love gmail and it has to be the best free email account on the internet atm. Secondly, people actually use a gig worth of space for email because of two reasons...1.) they just get a ton of email and or picture which take up space 2.) They have software that allows them to store files on their gmail account and use it like a harddriveFinally, varunone says that gmail is unsafe but in this day and age, size doesnt matter anywhere near as much as security which is why gmail is still in beta until they make gmail as secure as possible...Finally, varunone said something about msn messanger and windows messanger. To be honest both suck. Anyone who likes something that basic made my microsoft is just kinda lazy and doesnt know what they are missing. AIM is much better than both of those and to top that off Trillian is the ultimate messanger for windows. It can do anything possible including give you the weather and control winamp plus it is skinable so you can customize its looks to whatever suit you. Hope this all helps

Actually Gmail is very safe. Safer then yahoo raves some tech magazines. I have never had any trouble with gmail, and I don't think I will. I do hope however that we do get hosting from google soon, I mean you saw what they did for email just think about web hosting. It will give my business and trap17s a run for there money. However I think that most people will still us places like theses because there ad free and the communities are great. As for the messenger part goes. I'll just wait untill trillian comes out with the plugin for it. Also Aim came out with there own version of gmail. Offering 2gb of email. Listen people just because some one desides to try something new doesn't mean that its unsafe or will no longer exsist in a few years. I remember commercials a few years ago when dial up first came out, about people getting there identies stolen and credit card info. Well people I hate to bust your bubble, but your 5 times more likley to have you idenity stolen through the mail then through email.Well I hope more people post to this. ThanksEric Drinkard

Actually Gmail is very safe. Safer then yahoo raves some tech magazines. I have never had any trouble with gmail, and I don't think I will.

I don't feel like picking a flaw in that, infact it makes sense, think about it Gmail uses HTTPS (which by the way should by SHTTP, it just makes more sense, read the acronym) To the best of my knowledge none of the other main companies do that by default, sure it's an option, but (please take no offense, I know no one here is, I'm talking about the people around me) most people using hotmail are to stupid to use SSL, and HTTPS.

but your 5 times more likley to have you idenity stolen through the mail then through email.

Or those people who refuse to use their credit cards online, ahh do you think it's any safer to tell your credit cad number to an operator, who may have a pad of paper beside his computer? And even if he doesn't, most of the time the operators you talk to turn around and enter your information into an online style forum! So all you did was manage to bypass anone watching your computer for numbers, not hacker on the whole!

Finally, varunone says that gmail is unsafe but in this day and age, size doesnt matter anywhere near as much as security which is why gmail is still in beta until they make gmail as secure as possible..

Do you know how long Windows stays in Beta, (I know I don't)? So if windows stays in beta for a few months and then is released it is still full of holes. You know full well that if google made an OS, not only would it be search centered, even more so then the Mac, it would probably be in beta for several decades, that doesn't mean it's unstable, it just doesn't preform like google wants. There are almost no services on google that aren't beta, think about that, and to us it all appears to function well.
Infact (well this actualy isnt a fact) if you were to look through the google job listings they are probably looking for a "Hacker", well they wouldn't call it hacker, it would be something like "Network Vunerability expert" People whose only job it to try and find exploits to google, and google services, and when they do, figure out how to fix them!

gmail is a great service, but it wont be the best until it give side-by-side services such as a messenger, sms, and better organization features, which i believe, sucks in gmail.......

Okay this one needs to be handled two fold, firstly I don't actuay think google messenger would go over that great. Think about it, why do we use MSN, because everyone else uses MSN, how many people do you know who aren't geeks who use Gmail, everyone uses hotmail, and don't even know why their mail boxes keep getting bigger! A google Messenger would simply be for users og gmail to communicate, and frankly that wouldn't be too good. That is unless of corse gmessenger (as it will be known from now on) was to seemsly integrate with Yahoo, MSN, and AIM, then I might use it.P.S I think a gmessenger would not be exe based but rather a complex JavaScript, PHP, CGI, DHTML, XML, front end like the gmail interface.

And now about the organization, what's wrong with gmail's organization, rather then placing things in folders, you lebel them, and then archive them, no lets say you had a message that came from a teacher regarding a particular class (say you were taking an online class, ex http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/), normay you would have to choose would you sort this into an ischool folder ,or a folder based on that class, and if you got lots of email you might not remember which folder it went in. Now with Gmail you can have it in both folders. If I'm not mistaken that's how searching on the new Mac OS works with virtual folders.

We all know that keeps expanding ... but is really happening ? Do we really have an unlimited account with google ?

Actually Gmail is increasing the rate in such a way that on their 3rd aniversary the size is exactly 3GB. When they will give you an additional 1 GB and finally stop at 4GB. So i believe this account is finally going to be around 4gb in size and then from their 4th aniv onwards they'll be giving new features besides normal e-mail.

So you see its all a game of numbers.

And there are some rumours that Gmail will also go public on their 3rd aniv ...

Whats next ? G-hosting ? ... please please .. :-D

Cheers

150395[/snapback]

I was really impressed when I applyed for the gmail, I saw on the login splash page the counter, and first it seemed funny and unbelievable. How can the webspace increase kinda 10 bytes per/s ??? Is that possible? If they are adding new servers and hard drives the web space that you are allowed to use should jump up or stay on the number it is. And whatever, who will ever need such a big webspace? for doing what? It's better storing jour files on your own computer than in the internet.

But I must admit it, google is first web based free email that I saw which have so good security system! I was really surprised, and I think it is a good step.

I like also the search system integrated ito the web mail, you can easyly find all messages sent by a defined person, and even more! When you are replying to someone, you have displayed your previous messages and replys of this person in the correct order, so you can easyly find what did you asked him/her or what was the talking about if you don't remember.

And also they have support for other languages! I'm just waiting that they will add support for slovenian language...hope soon!

And also GMail provides the fastest e-mail service ever... After using GMail, email is so fast for me because of the new method they used. And, I think, GMail is really secure. They also uses HTTPS while other email services don't.