xisto Community
MarCrush

Windows Or Linux Which is better, Windows or Linux?

Which is better, Windows or Linux?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fedora 2 for me. Debian and Mandrake are also very neat distributions. Linux is both free and open soruce - ok, not *really* free because the boxed sets cost some money - and you could, strictly speaking, download it from the net, but you'd still be spending on the internet bill, and more importantly, your time. Linux support groups are extensive and are all over the place. It's reassuring to know that whenever you want help, someone's bound to do give it to you :D I personally have a soft corner for anything released under the GPL; so I'll obviously prefer Linux. Off hand conversations may lead you to think that Linux won't stand the test of time, because most s/w is created for the Windows platform, especially game engines and such. However, I would ask you to consult reliable sources and judge for yourself. Some such sources are listed at the end of this message. Finally, you can always partition your disk, that's what I've done - 20 GB for Windows 98 and the rest for Linux. Remember, you can setup Linux so that all data from the drives allotted to Windows can be accessed while working on the Linux platform :D

The Linux Homepage

The Linux Magazine

The Linux Journal

Another Linux Magazine

Linux World, yet another magazine.

Good luck, and keep us posted :(

OK well i was exactly like you were. All i used to use was windows but then i started to do a good amount of programming (for the web and software) so i decided to try linux out. Now, i run both linux and windows on my computer and switch between them depending on what i want to do. Personally i use Suse Linux because i like its look and feel and it wasnt very hard to learn. I have used both Mandrake and Fedora before and i liked them but i liked suse better.

I think Linux is good for programmers or people who want a stable and virus-safe computer. But in my opinion, Windows XP is even better, I think it's because I use it since I've got my first computer.

xboxrulz: right on! but why is your nickname xboxrulz? o.OBack on topic: linux and it's children are usually only used in server envirnoments, but lately been aimed at the desktop. Knoppix is an example of such. If you want an easy to use distro, knoppix or DSL (D*mn small linux). If you want something stable I would go with Gentoo or Slackware.Just my useless opinion :P

well, I'm a guy who is in the gray area. I love the XBOX (and its games and Bungie) but I hate Microsoft and Windows.Another stable Linux OS is SuSE :Pxboxrulz

I think Linux is good for programmers or people who want a stable and virus-safe computer. But in my opinion, Windows XP is even better, I think it's because I use it since I've got my first computer.

149838[/snapback]

Mmhh I think windows XP is crap compared to most linux destributions, but some destibutions arent as good as windows XP... But I think most people that claim windows is better havent used linux, or used a crappy free destribution found on some bonus CD from a computer magazine :P

I personally use Linux at home and Work. I have recently purchased a notebook that has the AMD 64 bit processor in it. However, it is running Win XP Home. I am not at all, or ever have been, really impressed woth Win XP. Win 2000 Pro was probably the best OS MS put out, in my opinion. I am thinking about wiping it out and installing Fedora Core 4 64 bit version on it. Anyway, in order to be convinced to use Linux, you have to be willing to take a chance and live a little. Linux doesn't come by easy in configuring, but once you know the key parts, such as, setting it up, edit config files, and how to start and stop processes and daemons, you will be good to go. I use Fedora at home with no probs. For word processing I use Open Office which is able to save in MS Word format if need be, and can Open MS Word .doc files. The Linux E-Mail client, Evolution, is in a lot of ways like Outlook. It has the calendaring system , and can connect to the MS Exchange server. As for Linux being more secure, no need for virus protection, that is all fine and dandy, but the real nugget about Linux is control. Once you learn Linux the deeper you can go. You can recompile the OS Kernel in Linux to be fined tuned to yiour hardware specs, this helps speed it up as well. Another cool feature is that p[atches and upgrades on the Linux system are produced much faster than any other OS. That is the coolness of having thousands of people around the world working on code to better Linux non-stop.Just my 2 cents.

Linux, despite popular belief, is not more secure. As it becomes mainstrean, more people will make viruses and such for it. I've also have it crash a few times. But typing command line is much more gratifying then running some .exe files.I've also heard that 2000/ME is the buggiest one of all lol.

I dunno about ME but 2000 is certainly the most stable one that MS ever put forward..

Linux is Linux :unsure: Nothing compares to it.. as the common saying goes,

Linux: What windows will never be or hope to be!

And what kind of poll is this here? You put up 5 different versions of windows to be compared against linux ? lol.. at least have some uniformity in your surveys.. This is completely biased and will never reveal the true character of OS usage. Anyways - none of the other OS-es you mentioned are even worth putting up on a survey.. Personally I believe anything below Win98 was worse than DOS itself... DOS with the graphical shells that you could find around those times was wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better than any of those windows versions.

Regards,

m^e

I feel sorry for Linux, though I really like the way it is doing business. Why I feel sorry is simply because when the interface could have been improved and give a stiff competition to Microsoft it fails so far and its never a choice for the masses around the world. Whereas Microsoft Windows Operating systems be it Windows 2000, ME, XP or the upcoming Longhorn, all look appealing and catchy with eyes as well. I would like to try Linux and have seen what others are using. It doesn't appeal me at all. Graphics aren't good at all. Besides I wonder if all the programmes mostly designed for Microsoft Windows can run in Linux. So, I thought Linux is only for developers.