xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
skazi

Best OS for gaming?

id have to say vista because with dx10 standard and a good dx10 capable video card your ready for the new games on the market, add 64bit and dual monitors and your set, all though very few games are available that require dx10, but all my old games work fine with this setup

The best OS for gaming, according to me, is Microsoft Windows XP. It doesn't add the overhead and compatibility issues that Windows Vista does, and it supports most modern games. CounterStrike, Grand Theft Auto, and Age of Empires run perfectly well for me on Windows XP.You might be a fan of abandonware games, in which case you'd have to use an emulator to get the games working or would prefer to use an older version of Windows (Windows 95/98) or MS DOS. My favorites from the old days are Crusader: No Regret and Protostar.You might find 're-mastered' versions of a game you are looking for, such as OpenTTD (a re-mastered version of Transport Tycoon) and WinDig (Digger re-mastered) that can run on your OS.If you happen to be on a Linux box, the ease with which you can use yum to type a single command that can download the game off the Internet and install it for you is simply amazing, but most mainstream games don't run on Linux, unfortunately.

For me the best OS to play games is Windows Xp Service Pack 2.It almost never crashes during a bug in a game. Even if it does you can always switch to task manager and end the game process.You also can remove start up programs and save as much resources as possible for games. And besides many games work without a problem in windows xp. You can easily assign, re size or remove the pagefile as well.What I hate about Win xp is the refresh rate problem where it gets stuck at 60Hz no matter what you do to make it go higher. In some games like Call of Duty 4 you can definitely see the difference of 60Hz and 75HZ such as the terrible mouse lag.As for vista it clearly wastes too much ram and other resources. It's clearly not made for gamers.But overall windows xp is much better. But I wonder how windows 7 will be for gamers........ :P

Win7 FTFW!Best OS for gaming?

XP is not the best.  DOS would be hella faster than anything IF softheads (nice term for computer illiterate, aka noob, people with no common sense when it deals with a computer) were not flooding the market.  Now days everything, hardware and software has to be user friendly, so we all deal with the bloated windows os while I still use dos to this day since I can do more things faster than I can in windows.

This can't be a debate as there is no correct answer.  Someone with an older pc is going to have an older os most likely be better for them.  While a person that can afford a top of the line custom pc they put together, they can have Vista actually out perform XP because they have the hardware for Vista to take advantage of it.  Currently my pick for my system is Windows 7 x64, then Vista x64.  I've found at the beginning of last year that the x64 version of Vista ran more software than xp could, and run it the way it was designed.  An example is Sanitarium.  You try to run this on your xp machine and its going to crash (I'm talking about the original big boxed, unpatched version too), you have to use a program to slow down your machine.  Now with Vista x64 the os automatically does this and your installing it and playing it like you should, no problems at all.  I then look at Divine Divinity, try installing this on Vista x86, your not going to be able to change discs when it asks, but in Win7 it works like a charm.  The most noticable is FAUST.  On XP this will be a big biiatch to even get it to run and the voice/music will be skipping like mad.  Now play this on Vista or Win7.  Works again, like a charm.  The lip sync is PERFECT.

So this is why I choose, for my needs and system, Windows 7 as the ultimate gaming OS.  Its less of a resource hog as all the other os after 2k, looks damn nice and its more compatiable than all the ms oses to date.  I really suggest people, make a partition and install Win7 x64 (if you have a 64bit cpu, if not, go x86 (32bit)) and just try it.  First get rid of the ugly desktop, pick something nice or simple for the best memory management.  I guarantee, you will be wanting to buy a copy when it hits the streets for sale.  

Your Smelly Friend,

TheStinkyHindu

-reply by Jagpreetchipdip Ichyballs

WINDOWS XPGood for older systems, I can't complain.XP is probably the most stable of the operating systems, but it's also very customizable if you find the right software.So you can make it eye candy, and a reliable OS at the same time.Win Vista-Vista has been nothing but a great experience for me since I've used it. I'm a sucker for the eye candy, but it also functioned well.I also loved vista for it's ReadyBoost method, some things do load quicker.My only drawback was that it did take few more resources then was necessary. But very simple tweaks to the services and registry and it was working rather quickly.I highly recommend you use Vista Home Premium or Ultimate if you can take it. Vista basic is pretty bad.Win7-Because it's in beta, I've been having a few issues which have yet to be resolved. But I simply love it.Backwards compatibility is exceptional, if something don't work, simply change it to Vista, and it works like a charm.The Taskbar is love . I generally run over 10 programs at once, and this would very much clutter the taskbar in the older OS's.It hardly even fills half of the bar, and I can view which one I want to work on, or close it in a matter of seconds.ReadyBoost is mastered in Win7, things load up rather quickly, faster then Vistas version.It also runs more clean, and takes up less memory. Startup and Shutdown times were greatly reduced.Startup is just 11 seconds, this is from the windows logo, to my desktop. (Vista was 21)Shutdown is 16 seconds. (Vista was 23)Personally i use my comp for gaming and preety pleasured of the new DirectX. A combination with a top gaming computer/win 7 64 bit its the most gamers dream.i think im dreaming it right now :(

Best gaming OSBest OS for gaming?

Having been gaming since 1992, I say there is NO best system. Each OS has had killer games. DOS had XCom and others. Various Windows have had theirs - the Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale series, NWN and NWN2... Many good games over the years. Even good games  for the Mac, some of which have been ported to Windows. Right now, I do most of my gaming with XP Pro. I tried Vista, but it wouldn't run my sound card or video card, so I  back-pedaled!

Depending on your taste, there are good games everywhere. There are even good flash and RenPy games, if you like story type games. Seek and ye shall find!

-reply by carlsfrog

I believe Windows XP SP3 is the best gaming OS right now. As there are some minor bugs running win games under Linux and more driver-related problems in linux than that in windows, Windows Gaming under Linux is very possible but not as easy as and more bugs (actually OpenGL can not fully emluate Windows-specific DX APIs, but Wine have done it best) than under Windows. Otherwise running Windows games under Linux will be more stable than running Windows games under Windows XP/Vista, and I guess even Windows 7.If you do like 16bit games (i.e.legacy DOS/Win9x games like C&C), Windows 98 SE is the best gaming OS for those, while there is no 16bit app support since Windows Vista. However, the OS design of Windows 9x series is much worse than Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, be prepared for a easily-collapsed OS.So why not Windows Vista/7? As there is a big change of display and sound driver mechanism between XP and Vista/7, there raises some compatibility problems, e.g. some games need apps like Creative Alchemy to make EAX work properly under Windows Vista/7.

i had heard that most of games are made in windows 98 i C-Sharp... But Dos is good for programing but all of this operating systems have the same platform "Unix-Like" So There is some defrences between this Os but the both are good !