xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Inspiron

Dell Is First To Offer 500gb Hard Drives In Desktops Its DELL again...

Dell introduced the Dimension 9100, a redesigned premium desktop computer that delivers high-end performance, multimedia technologies and proactive support to help customers more easily manage digital content and information.

Dell also announced that it is the first major vendor to ship 500-GB1 Serial ATA 2 hard drives on the Dimension XPS Gen 5 desktop, which is designed for gamers and multimedia enthusiasts. The new hard drives can store hundreds of thousands of digital music files and photos, or hundreds of hours of video.

Additional specifications include:

Intel 945P Express chipset with integrated Intel XD antivirus protection

Pentium D 8xx dual-core processors & Pentium 4 6xx single-core and

Up to 4GB3 DDR2 memory

Six expansion slots: (1) PCIe x16, (1) PCIe x4, (1) PCIe x1 and (3) PCI

Integrated 7.1 audio support and 10/100 network controller

Tool-less chassis for increased reliability and serviceability

Microsoft Windows XP Home, Professional

One year Next Business Day On-site Service4

Dell Support 3.0

Cool huh...

See the Dimension sets here :

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Wow, I don't know how I'd ever fill a 500GB hard drive! I suppose with all applications steadily growing in size I would be able to fill it, along with home movies, music and photos. 4GB of RAM as well, this PC is certainly future proof!

I don't really think gamers and media people need 4gb of ram. Come on, 1gb is already more than enough to play any game on the market today. And 500GB...if I downloaded 500GB of stuff my ISP would cut my connection. Only thing I like about is the nice sleek look with the lights. Thats just my opinion, and its biased cuz I am drooling at this comp and regretting that I just bought my new comp a month ago.

Danieluchis, its about 2k. I bought mine for 1k, if I waited 2 more months I would have had enough to buy one. Dam, why does technology have to advance so fast, it makes my 1GB ram and 160GB harddrive look like a thing of the past. Arrg.

That's life for you. lol Once day, people will be using a Terabye of RAM, and CPUs running hundreds of GHz. It's only a matter of time, and I bet we'll all see it happening in our lifetime. That's why I'm holding off on buying anything new, since what I have at the moment is good enough even though it is outdated and old. Just as long as it works for my needs, that's all that should matter. Gamers are the ones who are helping in the advancement of technology most of all. The average office admin only needs a good old Pentium III to get by comfortably.

Hmm...you know what I am gonna do. I am gonna steal all the worlds supply of silicon, and horde it for a couple years in Antarctica. When I feel like my comp is getting sluggish I will release back into a world. What a great plan, now I just need the manpower.

Whats The Point Of HAVING 500 gb, Whos Going To Use All That Space, You Would Have To Download ALOT. I Use The Computer Everyday For At Least 4 Hourst And Im Stretching To Fill 200GB. But They Are The First, Thats A Good Thing. DELL ROCKS!!!!

Danieluchis, its about 2k. I bought mine for 1k, if I waited 2 more months I would have had enough to buy one. Dam, why does technology have to advance so fast, it makes my 1GB ram and 160GB harddrive look like a thing of the past. Arrg.

147021[/snapback]

That's just for the regular system specs. If you want the 4Gb of ram, 500gb hard drive and a dual core proccessor it brings the price to over $4.5 thousand

A Dimension 9100? I have a 2100 Im starting to feel old. I bought my Dell in 2001 an XP, havent had a problem since, but I see its time for an upgrade :rolleyes:

Pretty cool. Makes me wish I had one :lol: Anyway, 4GB RAM seems pretty miniscule in comparasion to 500GB HDD... Its unbelievable that progress has leaped for HDD, but just took a few steps for RAM.I'm currently on a 2GB RAM/100GB HDD, and I know it just doesn't quite work like this... but shouldn't the RAM be 10GB in comparasion? :rolleyes:Well, maybe you can get 10GB RAM... if not I can see it as 100% possible for the future.

Just wonder what GPU they are choosing. Intel's 945P does not seem to have an integrated display and judging from the configuration of the computer, there should have been room for SLI or Crossfire display cards, while there is none. I wonder why there is no duel PCI-E x8 slots for the purpose.

Dell has done it again, 500 gb, I, just have to say that?s sweet.That?ll be useful for those using limewire to get all those favorite songs, or movies. Or just those with huge anime, it?s nice.The memory doesn?t suck as well, 4gb, hmm nice stuffDimension is going to rock, It?s probably going to cost an arm and a leg, but good for computer lovers.