xisto Community
mama_soap

A Screenshot Of The Front Page Any advice will be appreciated :)

Hello folks,

I've nearly completed designing my site, and I am - among others - awaiting approval of my hosting request here. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone could have a quick look at the screenshot of the opening page of my website below, and tell me if it looks all right (I've posted a thumbnail, clicking will take you to the full-size image - sorry if it takes a while to load). Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, :rolleyes: All the buttons are 'pressable', and the image on the left changes to a description of the link on mouseover in the real page.

Posted Image

Thank you and cheers! :lol:

not bad i like the layout but as for opra ugg it looks really wierd... ( ive never used it ) but great layout you might try adding a back ground picture? it would fill in the blank sapce in the center

Looks good and appears to be easy to navigate. The only thing i noticed was that is seemed kind of empty and had a little too much white space. So i was wondering where the mousover information was going to show up because you might want to add some content in the rest of the white space on the page. However, keep in mind you dont want it to be cluttered either. Good luck and keep up the work cause overall its a good design

I like the design although I am not sure why you have used Times under the title banner and a different font for the time. Its just a thought. Otherwise a very nice and well thought out design.

fireofgoths,Thank you so much for having a look. I have been a little worried about the blank space myself, I'll probably try adding a light background. The only problem with backgrounds [in my context] is that a non-tiling background can be very difficult to manage when you want to ensure cross-browser functunality, and people use all kinds of resolutions and I don't plan to create three different versions of the same site. And I'm not fond of tiling backgrounds in general, and I haven't found anything that suits this setup in particular :rolleyes: Maybe I'll insert a good graphic with z-index set to minus one! Thanks again for your feedback, it really helps :lol:fffanatics,Thanks! I'm glad you liked the navigation, there'll be something more straigtforward in the footers of content pages, but I wanted the front page to be navigation-only. The mouseover content will actually replace the picture in the left - the contents of the board will simply change from "Welcome to..." to the relevant message :D So I still have the whitespace problem to deal with. I might just try my hand at conjuring some graphics for it... thank you again for the feedback!rvalkass,Glad you liked the design. It helps to know it might not be too crappy after all :) And thanks for pointing out the font thingy - I was just modifying a ready-made javascript to suit the page and paid no attention to formatting the HTML. Will sort that out, thanks again :D

It's cool tho i can't do thing like this :lol:I do only CSS *BLEEP* with CSS nav systems etc etc im not that advanced in dreamweaver or whatever ur building it & thats why i make my sites with PHP - Nuke or some other advanced managment system :rolleyes: OfftopicP.S. PHP - Nuke platinum is even better has more modules.And it's a nice job that u've done cheers from me !Good luck with ur site :)w

dr1v3r,Thanks for your comments, very encouraging indeed :rolleyes: Now, at the risk of sounding completely foolish, I must say that I constructed this page (and the remaining ones of my site) using a text editor. Bare bones HTML, CSS and JS - and java in some instances - is what I rely on. This is more out of lack of choice than anything else, I use Fedora and my BlueFish won't install properly :lol: Btw, [probably off topic] I'm working on a tutorial for implementing double image mouseover effects and making the buttons look 'pressable' at the same time. It's not too bad, you need to feel at home with j/s [basically - I can do it, so anyone can] and of course, have a j/s enabled browser. Perhaps - if it gets approval - you can have a look sometime and it may help, I'm not sure.Anyway, thanks a ton again :D Good luck with your web development too!Cheers :)

He or she was using Linux, that is why is looks werid, I bet it looks different in Windows.

That's right, I'm on Fedora 2 (still 2... I've heard 4 is on beta already). Thanks for looking at the page, MarCrush. I might mention the site is finally up now, and is located here.

Just posted it for review.

Perhaps the mods will want to close this topic.

Cheers!

How about removing the borders on the images by putting border=0 in the img tag. I will look better without the borders.

Oh, I thought it should take a default value of zero (just because it showed up without borders in Opera), but it I realized it does not . Anyway, it's now showing up without borders in firefox... thanks a ton :P

Always remember to put the border=0 in the img tag unless you want the image to have a border when it is linked.

Actually, the border attribute for images became deprecated in HTML 4.0. What you should do instead is put this in your CSS:

img { border: 0; }

The only problem with backgrounds [in my context] is that a non-tiling background can be very difficult to manage when you want to ensure cross-browser functunality, and people use all kinds of resolutions and I don't plan to create three different versions of the same site.

You shouldn't have any problems with background images with the proper use of CSS.

Thanks, Tyssen, I will modify my stylesheet :D
As far as the backgrounds are concerned, I rather like it background-less for the moment. Maybe you can check my site and tell me what you think, either by using the feedback there or posting here. Only if you have the time, of course :D Will be grateful for any responses, but don't bother if you're busy.

Cheers!