xisto Community
heavensounds

Netscape Is Back? The return of Netscape browser

In the last few weeks Netscame returned from the dead. It is now reincarnated for the eigth time but in only 7 days after its appearance lot off things happened to it. Practicaly right after its appearance a few security holes where detected and only a few hours later a new improved version 8.0.1 came out in which security holes where removed (it would allow hackers to gain access to the computer) and a few anti-spyware tools added.Later it was also discovered, that Netscape needs IE installed for it to work!?:rolleyes: (weard since it is IEs alternative). Well it really is hard to remove IE from the windows so it is not a BIG problem but it is anyway...And to conclude Miscrosoft reported a few days ago, that the installation of Netscape ruins Internet Explorer, which than shows XML pages as blank ones. Microsoft don't know which versions are hurt, but it is clear that the error emreges in Windows XP SP2. The problem is being discussed at Microsoft and Netscape and we can hope they will find a solution soon...greetz :lol:

is this the netscape version of AOL? with the faulty "trust rating system" (which reports well-known adwares as "trustworthy")???

related article: Who Do You Trust? Not Netscape...

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20050531/1246247_F.shtml

that article has some very valid points. so netscape should wisen up.

Why would you bother with a new version of Netscape when Firefox is available? They're both built on the Gecko engine but Firefox has obviously streaked ahead in development.

Later it was also discovered, that Netscape needs IE installed for it to work!?:rolleyes: (weard since it is IEs alternative). Well it really is hard to remove IE from the windows so it is not a BIG problem but it is anyway...

And to conclude Miscrosoft reported a few days ago, that the installation of Netscape ruins Internet Explorer, which than shows XML pages as blank ones. Microsoft don't know which versions are hurt, but it is clear that the error emreges in Windows XP SP2. The problem is being discussed at Microsoft and Netscape and we can hope they will find a solution soon...

greetz :lol:

146286[/snapback]

As you have rightly mentioned above. Now I will respond in two ways. I want to say that Netscape is unnecessary..hehe... it isn't an alternative to Internet Explorer. If one needs to have IE in the system as a compulsory measure, its funny. It cannot become an alternative to IE.

Secondly, as you have mentioned again installation of Netscape not only ruins the internet Explorer but also the windows which emerges in Service pack 2. Therefore, installing Netscape only add to more problems than solving the problems. Therefore, why one should bother about Netscape when one can easily go for Firefox which is more or less the same as Netscape with more functions and with more stability?

Funny hearing all that about Netscape...especially since it was the first web browser I used. (This was way back at my university in 1995, when the Internet was just starting to become common for everyday use...and the websites were certainly not as slick as they are now).

I tried Netscape 8.0 ... i suggest stay away from it ! Its seems like a bad IE clone, hogs memory and does not show sites properlyI have been using firefox for sometime now but i feel IE displays the site best and the fastest.Also Firefox and netscape sometimes do not display certain photos/graphics on sitesm which is very weird !Cheers