xisto Community
cragllo

Whats The Safest Download Option? cast your vote

Whats the safest download option?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In your opinion, wht is the safest way to share files?

BitTorrent or P2P file sharers?

In my opinion BitTorrent is safer, here is why I think this.

How long does it take to create a torrent?

It takes a while... You have to find a tracker and get permission to use it. Then you have to upload the .torrent file to a site.

How long does it take to share a file on a P2P file sharer?

You just put te file in your shared folder

Who will spend the time to create a torrent with a virus in it when they can just stick i in the shred folder?

BitTorrent does not connect to a network, it just asks the tracker who has the file your looking for. P2P file shrers do connect to a network, and you are then at more risk or hacking.

Also, from experience, I have never had a virus using BitTorrent, and have had a few from using P2P file sharers.

145393[/snapback]

basically the safest way today is to download from a site that ur sure wont use ur ip and other info against you or to feed bugs and third party monitors.

In my opinion, Bit Torrent is a "safe-way" to filesharing. Nevertheless, I never endorse filesharing.Filesharing always poses a risk, regardless of a client. Even though you may have the sharpest-security protection, best File Sharing client, you will always be at risk...Unless you have special arrangement with the government, they can always track down your IP, via your ISP, etc.When in doubt, don't download at all. :unsure:

I've Never Downloaded Anything Using P2P Servers. At Least, Not That I Know Of. I don't think I'm ever going to plan on using P2P. I've used BitTorrent For A Long time now, and it has never failed me. (Except when the download takes forever.)

im not sure but i think that torrents and DC++ is best+safty, kazaa is full of viruses (once i got virus that destroyed my windows from kazaa) but i recommend torrent or DC++ :|

I would say that you can never be safe downloading from "illegal" shared resources, because as I noticed even torrent resources are getting closed all the time. I suggest that torrent would be safer, but you never know what can happen :P

Torrents were the only kind of downloading, that didn't cause me any problems with speed, spam, viruses, etc.

I've tried many different programs, but they usually slow down my PC, make slow connections to files and produce a lot of undesired spam. :P

So, If I really nead something, I use my second best friend google by typing the desired keyword + torrent.

Works like a charm. B)

NOTICE: * Nothing is safe if you don't have a good Antivirus and Spyware protection *

DL or not to DL? Heres my take on .torrentsWhats The Safest Download Option?

Torrents are the way to go.  Use torrentscan.Com it has all the top torrent sites in one convenient location.  You can set a .Torrent program like uTorrent to scan the completed download with one of your antivirus programs.  If you download music or just .Avi files then you shouldn't run into too many viruses.  When movies/tv/software are bundled with .Rar or .Exe files be mindful.  Running .Exe files from an unknown source--even ones that are named appropriately (like "Title of software/program".2009.Exe) can literally take seconds to install and infect your computer...If its a virus.  The problem with antivirus programs is that they can't keep up with all the new viruses that people write and spread daily.  Look for other versions or releases that aren't truncated in .Rar or .Zip files.  Some .Rar files will download fine and even seem to unpack fine until it gets to the end and you need to visit some greasy faced geeks website to get a password. Skip it. Its not worth the spam you'll get even if it ends up being a free one.  I agree with others that the best way to stay safe is to use these bigger torrent sites and keep to the higher number of peers/seeders.  If you're using a site that "verifies" torrents it should make you feel slightly safer since it takes a number of other users or an admin to certify these. Most importantly READ THE COMMENTS before you get click happy.  Its fun to just go through and start downloading a ton of torrents to see how fast they get done but seriously take the time to see what others who have already downloaded have to say.  Aside from naming trojans/viruses they may have found, they will comment on the quality--maybe the torrent isn't even worth the bandwidth. The most useful comments tend to be about bad trackers.  These are the sites that link you to others to download the torrents.  They literally keep track of the torrents.  This is invaluable information.  If a bad tracker is named, more than likely it will die out because everyone will stop using it or block it but new trackers are abound.  Most programs give you the ability to block or choose not to use a certain tracker.  Trojans and viruses are one thing but keep in mind the rightful owners of copyrighted properties are out there.  I recently downloaded something that I just couldn't wait for and tried to be one of the brave ones to try a torrent out to see if it was the real deal.  I got stung.  The company had a tracker on it and it pinged back to them with my IP address.  Next thing I know my ISP is telling me they're going to discontinue our service (which includes digital TV). Take it from me and stick with the high volume of seeders/peers. Don't try to be a hero.

Hope this helps. Happy DLing!

IGuest had a great comment. Covered a lot. Sticking to the most seeds seems to be the safest bet.There are too many jerks with tiny sick brains with nothing in their lives but to add trojans and virusii to music and movies. It's all they have in their lives

the legals are taking over every chance they get. We are not hurting them as bad as they hurt their singers. Musicians will get nothing out of this knocking downloaders off. They just do it because they can. They aren't losing money off of most of us.Tell us how much you compensated your musicans and actors from all this and we will listen. And you know what, pigs in Ca? We always did swap, trade, copy right from the beginning .You just got greedy. 

-reply by Fox,.