xisto Community
cragllo

Whats The Safest Download Option? cast your vote

Whats the safest download option?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In your opinion, wht is the safest way to share files?

BitTorrent or P2P file sharers?

In my opinion BitTorrent is safer, here is why I think this.

How long does it take to create a torrent?

It takes a while... You have to find a tracker and get permission to use it. Then you have to upload the .torrent file to a site.

How long does it take to share a file on a P2P file sharer?

You just put te file in your shared folder

Who will spend the time to create a torrent with a virus in it when they can just stick i in the shred folder?

BitTorrent does not connect to a network, it just asks the tracker who has the file your looking for. P2P file shrers do connect to a network, and you are then at more risk or hacking.

Also, from experience, I have never had a virus using BitTorrent, and have had a few from using P2P file sharers.

I agree with you Gragllo in the contest between Torrent and P2P, The later is definitely the loser due to the unsecure "My Shared" folders and the sumtimes defined ports not to mention the virii and other malicious content provided.But then to your title which says "whats the safest download?" should be extended to "whats the safest download for pirated software and music?" since it is obvious that people who use these p2p and torrent systems are not after legit products, therefore the safest method of downloading something legally would be to get it from the host site and the mirrors they provide.

I personaly used BitTorrent just once, and found it extremely slow in my conditions (dial-up 33.6k connection). As for the safety... There is no safe downloading option. If someone is set on uploading a virus, (s)he will do it. Since I only download musci, if I download at all, so... There is no risk for me of catching anything malicious. But, if your intentions are to download pirated software, or anything like that... That's another story then. So, until there are 100% reliable virus scanners, there will be about 98% safe download option. You always must count in human factor... Always :lol: People are extremely... well... you get the picture :rolleyes:I use Soulseek, on those rare occasions I actualy download something via P2P...

As for the safety... There is no safe downloading option. If someone is set on uploading a virus, (s)he will do it.

145733[/snapback]

I'm with you on that on. You are guaranteed to yet a virus if you download enough, although as you say not downloading executable file's you are slightly safer, but problem is that some people are morons and want to cripple home computers for no apparent reason. Now to top it all off you dont even have to download it, just being connected to the internet is enough to get your system infected.

I dont agree with your garunteed statement but mind you i am not sticking my foot out waiting for it to get hit, i have a fairly protected system and i download alot i mean alot , i work for copmuting services company and have no gigabyte downloading cap and 8 mb dl speed and sufficient upl speed, and since i am allowed to have my own towers at work which i have to off, i download approximately 10 - 40 gig a day depending on my time mood and prefenreces. i have never i swear never got a virus /trojan / spyware to date.* knocks on wood breaks his desk and computer crashespost ends .............................*

The thing is, BitTorrent is starting a new age :D trackerless torrents!

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

interesting or what?

146121[/snapback]

yes. very interesting.

I was wondering what was meant by safe here too. if you mean safe as in viruses and stuff (which you obviously do) then I really see your point

but as in getting caught for piracy or something like that, bitTorrent is not 'safe' at all, especially if you are offering the content. there is no hiding like in p2p which work in non centeralized networks... or so I've read

so with bitTorrent, even "trackerless" you are still out in the open, so to speak... or am I wrong?

I think that eMule or on mIRC you can pretty much find anything you want, rather that if you make a search through P2P, i think that most users that use P2P dont even know what eMule or mIRC is, but when it come to what is the safest.... Then i think it all has to do with how smart the user is, some users can tell from what is a virus and what is an actual program.

I have just been using Bittorrent for a couple of weeks, and have had no viruses. With some P2P services I have used, I ran SpyBot S&D after every download. Almost every time there was something that could've harmed my computer. Now, with trackerless torrents we can be completely anonymous! Also, I think the ease of use for BitTorrent isn't necessarily harder, since with FireFox, right after it downloads the .torrent it runs my Bittorrent application (Azureus) and does it through there.

the new "trackerlesss" bittorrent isn't really trackerless. a tracker is still needed for it to work. just that with this improvement, the provider of the .torrent does not also have to provide or store a tracker. at least that's what I think it means :P

and it might even be more reliable to provide a dedicated tracker

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=795

My Opinion would be Bittorrent or Limewire. Bittorrent is fast and once it went to 4 mb/s for me. Limewire is a good source for small aplications and music.

is it pretty fast to d/l stuff from mIRC?

148025[/snapback]

For me it hasent been too fast, but ive downloaded big files, and i have to wait a lot time for my turn to download, but i like it b/c i can find pretty much anything i want.

Yeah id go for BitTorrent also. but then again you cant really find torrent files for just some songs on their own. im guessing most people would just download an album. i use bittorrent for downloading progs, movies, albums ect but then i have a p2p thing for downloading songs that i heard on the radio or something. but then again using a mac usualy helps in not getting any viruses. haha yeah.