xisto Community
jose_a1

Problem With Computer My Computer is restarting on its own

I have a problem with my computer. How come it's restarting on its own? When the electricity fluctuates, the computer restarts. I cannot control that though and that is tolerable given the quality of electric lines here in my country.But sometimes there are no electric fluctations and it is just restarting on its own. Is this spyware, trojan or virus? I scan my system regularly using Adaware and AntiVir.I am not that good in troubleshooting computers, so can anyone help me? Formatting my hard disk is my last resort because I am open to other options. What do you suggest I do?Thanks.

My guess would be somthing to do with the power supply and how much power your computer is taking in. I don't really understand your problem to much. Lamme get this strait, when the power differs, your computer just restarts? But does it just shut down, or go through the whole shutting down with windows? On the back of your computer there's a gadge (if i'm not mistaken) on the back of your comp near the power input. You might need to tink with it because to much or to little power might be coming in. Well, hope that helped in the least bit. My recomondation would be to talk to someone that is a hardware kinda guy. If you can't find anyone, see if you can tink with it a lill. My warnings, if you set the power to high, you'll destroy your computer. Well, PM me if you need some more help, nickmealey

It could have to do with the computer too, how old is it? How often do you turn it off, then a couple hours later, back on again? Cuz if you do that too much, and you crack a resistor or something important, it can mess up your whole system. Is it doing anything else weird? If you can answer these questions, I can hit you back with some more possibilities.Shadow

I concur with nickmealey but with a different power supply issue. First of all, would you give us more details on your computer specification? And did you do any upgrade since your purchase or home-made?

The reason I ask is that I faced similar problem few years ago. I had 300W power supply with 2-DVD ROM drives and 2-hard drives. And since my processor was P4 the 300W power supply couldn?t take 2-hard drives and 2-DVD ROM drives while maintaining video editing process with 1GB RAM. So every time I accessed the secondary hard-drive the computer would just restart on its own. Not a blue screen restart but it?s as if the power went out and came back on. Sounds familiar? Give us your full specification and any modification you have done.

It could have to do with the computer too, how old is it? How often do you turn it off, then a couple hours later, back on again? Cuz if you do that too much, and you crack a resistor or something important, it can mess up your whole system. Is it doing anything else weird? If you can answer these questions, I can hit you back with some more possibilities.

Shadow

143746[/snapback]

My computer is about two years old. I switch it on in the afternoon at about 1 then in the evening at about 7. It's doing nothing else weird except for that.

I concur with nickmealey but with a different power supply issue. First of all, would you give us more details on your computer specification? And did you do any upgrade since your purchase or home-made?

My computer is

AMD 1.8 ghz

Asus Motherboard(I forgot the model)

Has one cd writer

capture card(the one where you can watch cable)

lan card

I only made one upgrade to it and that is when I added a lan card.

My guess would be somthing to do with the power supply and how much power your computer is taking in. I don't really understand your problem to much. Lamme get this strait, when the power differs, your computer just restarts? But does it just shut down, or go through the whole shutting down with windows? On the back of your computer there's a gadge (if i'm not mistaken) on the back of your comp near the power input. You might need to tink with it because to much or to little power might be coming in. Well, hope that helped in the least bit. My recomondation would be to talk to someone that is a hardware kinda guy. If you can't find anyone, see if you can tink with it a lill. My warnings, if you set the power to high, you'll destroy your computer. Well, PM me if you need some more help

, nickmealey

143714[/snapback]

I can see your point but my pc is connected to an avr. Furthermore, when I say the electricity fluctuates, I mean the whole house. The lights and everything powered by electricity goes off for about a split second like the ones you see in horror movies. I'm not kidding, it really does.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
You can quote from multiple responders by placing 'quote=name' ... '/quote' and respond in one post. Merged 3 replies.

I have used Gateways that have done the same thing, and it happened when the power supply is just fine. If the restart is actually a computer problem,1) Perhaps the switch on the back of the CPU is bad and needs to be replaced.2) Or there's a problem with the hardware. This could have happened if your computer has been disrupted by the main power supply for a while and it may be permanent damage :lol: .If it is a problem with your power supply where you live and not you computer, then I recommend getting an external power supply. It's a battery that plugs into the wall and you plug your computer into it. This way, if the power does fluctuate on and off, the battery won't kill your computer.I'm not an expert, but hopefully I can have helped in some way.

Hi jose_a1,There's some good advice in the previous posts.If your power (in the house) has been messing up for some time.. then ther'e's the very real possibility that it could have damaged your computer hardware components. :lol: The only way you will know for sure is to do a step by step hardware test.If you need help or instructions..you can check out my website for basic computer troubleshooting.Hope this helpsRGPHNX

If it is a problem with your power supply where you live and not you computer, then I recommend getting an external power supply. It's a battery that plugs into the wall and you plug your computer into it. This way, if the power does fluctuate on and off, the battery won't kill your computer.

143845[/snapback]

Does it have a generic name like Avr or something? I'm really sorry but I tried asking some computer salesmen and they can't figure out what I'm saying. I've told them about my problem, though, but they keep on insisting that I need an Avr. I told them I already have an Avr and I need an external power supply for my pc. They think avr and external power supply are synonymous or are they?

Thank you for your help.

Hi jose_a1,

There's some good advice in the previous posts.

If your power (in the house) has been messing up for some time.. then ther'e's the very real possibility that it could have damaged your computer hardware components.  :lol:

The only way you will know for sure is to do a step by step hardware test.

If you need help or instructions..

you can check out my website for basic computer troubleshooting.

Hope this helps

RGPHNX

143876[/snapback]

I'll try to look at your website and do the hardware test. Thank you very much.

I have a problem with my computer.

How come it's restarting on its own?

When the electricity fluctuates, the computer restarts. I cannot control that though and that is tolerable given the quality of electric lines here in my country.

But sometimes there are no electric fluctations and it is just restarting on its own.

Is this spyware, trojan or virus?

I scan my system regularly using Adaware and AntiVir.

I am not that good in troubleshooting computers, so can anyone help me? Formatting my hard disk is my last resort because I am

open to other options.

What do you suggest I do?

Thanks.

143706[/snapback]

If there is a problem with the power, I mean power fluctation, why don't you use AVR " automatic voltage regulator" so every there is a power interruption AVR will handle that for you, if this don't work many there's a problem in your computer there a many reasons for that. first, windows will shutdown the computer if there is a faulty hardware attached on it. or it could be a virus such as, blaster, sassers or hijackers which usually came from internet.

If there is a problem with the power, I mean power fluctation, why don't you use AVR " automatic voltage regulator" so every there is a power interruption AVR will handle that for you, if this don't work many there's a problem in your computer there a many reasons for that.  first, windows will shutdown the computer if there is a faulty hardware attached on it.  or it could be a virus such as, blaster, sassers or hijackers which usually came from internet.

144047[/snapback]

If really there is a problem with the power, many you should use the UPS, this will also prevent your computer from any damages cause by power fluctations, many this will cost you a little but it will cost you much if the power damaged you computer like motherboard, hardisk, processor or even you memory...

Hey, I have a Computer with the same specs, sort of. It also reboots whenever it feels like it. Ive reinstalled windows, upgraded the bios, checked the temperature, I think its going to be the motherboard. Mine is a 1.2 amd, geforce 2, cd writer, soundblaster sound card. The motherboard is a soyo motherboard, and when it reboots when windows is running I can sometimes see a blue screen saying something about a hex value or something, when it reboots when windows hasnt even loaded I dont see any blue screen.

Hey, I have a Computer with the same specs, sort of. It also reboots whenever it feels like it. Ive reinstalled windows, upgraded the bios, checked the temperature, I think its going to be the motherboard. Mine is a 1.2 amd, geforce 2, cd writer, soundblaster sound card. The motherboard is a soyo motherboard, and when it reboots when windows is running I can sometimes see a blue screen saying something about a hex value or something, when it reboots when windows hasnt even loaded I dont see any blue screen.

144049[/snapback]

Check out your hardware devices FlaKes, there may be a problem with one of them, like memory, video card, and other devices attached on it. windows will generate that message if some devices is not functioning properly. If this don't work there checking your installed softwares may be some of them are corrupted, re-install the software if necessary...

One thing you can try is to:Right click on My Computer --> PropertiesYou will see a properties box pop up, now:Click on the Advanced tab, now click on Startup and RecoveryUnder the System Failure section, remove the the check mark from Automaticly Reboot.I had an issue here at the office with one of our worstations rebooting non-stop. This helped. Another thing you might want to do is to take the cover off your computer, and boot it up and watch the CPU fan. Make sure it is running, if your fan is not running then your CPU is getting hot and this will cause your machine to reboot time and time again. Above all, as others have suggested, get an AVR, Surge protector, battery backup, and anything else to proof your system from the electrical issues. Hope this helps.