xisto Community
Inspiron

Which Forums Would You Prefer? Good for people creating communities...

Which forums would you prefer ?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They are all nice, but I personally prefer phpBB, why? I don't know, i guess because its the one I've dealt with the most. But like mbd5882 said, probably the paid version of invision is better, not sure thought. If i was to create a forum, I'd definitely get phpBB since I also find it the easiest to manage and the easiest to adquire

If you're asking which type I use the most...It's phpBB because it's free.If the question is as to what type I think is best, and/or which one I would *rather* use if I were a user, VBulletin. It has so many features, it's faster, it's better for admins, etc. than phpBB. But it does cost money.

If you really want to make your community popular and good, like Xisto forums for example. You need to take vBulletin or IPB. Those aren't free, but they have VERY VERY much more modules and perferences than phpbb and other free boards. And if someone sees a vBulletin forum, he will think that you are serious about it becouse you spend money on it, it's not the same as phpbb... As you can see, and ipb is good too. But if you are making the forum just for fun, not planning to make a serious forum on it (like a pro. administration, business from it with marketing or whatever) take phpbb, it's free and easy to use

I have been running phphbb3 but I am not at all pleased with a lot of things.1. It doesn't perform that well for me in IE. I had to change the design a few times just so that it loads faster. (This might just be my own problem as I have lot of images...)2. The newsletter system is a disappointment. I think SMF should be better in this respect. I tried to install a more advanced newsletter mod but it only led to disaster so after 5 months, i have just been able to send only email to my members!3. There is no great portal to support phpbb3. The one called KISS has got some very nice templates but it lacks some basic features and I had to manually add news articles to the home page. After checking SMF, I saw it had made some improvements with the core code and now appears to be better than phpbb3. I will give it a try if I find a good template.I have got a thing for vbulletin but my budget is tight so i ahave to stick to free open source products.