xisto Community
CaL-E

Good Computer?

yeah i got a gate way(it sux) im going to buy a new computer...does anybody kno sum good brandz?

142995[/snapback]

If you want a really good computer, make or buy a custom-made one, and select each part you want. Make sure they are name-brand components only. Stay away from parts that are OEM.

I don't really know very many computer brands...but there is one I don't care about: Netway (NOT Gateway). Netway did a HORRIBLE job on the computer I have right now. Most of the brands that I know are all right...like Dell and HP (I prefer HP). However, as long as the computer has decent hardware, not loaded down with preinstalled software, and doesn't use any kind of older hardware, I'll use it.

If you want a really good computer, make or buy a custom-made one, and select each part you want. Make sure they are name-brand components only. Stay away from parts that are OEM.

147822[/snapback]

I didn't know what OEMs were when I read this, much less why to stay away. so I found some information in pcguide.com buyer's guide. That looks like its really usefull information. they also have a newly updated "how to build your own pc guide" :P

makes me want to do it! but I cannot affort it...

anyway, in your opinion/knowledge Dark God (or anybody) why stay away from OEM parts? is it just too complicated and risky for someone who's not a computer expert?

yeah i got a gate way(it sux) im going to buy a new computer...does anybody kno sum good brandz?

142995[/snapback]

Hello Cal-E if you know how to assemble computer I will suggest to build your own PC, Many nice computer today are in the marketplace, but buyin a branded one would sometimes put you in a big trouble. If you try to setup a nice computer you should write down all the specs of each parts and assemble it yourself. It will also decrease the price if you build your own PC's compare to the branded one, but if you have more peny then I suggest to do your search for computers because most computers like IBM, DELL, etc. are both good but still depends on the setup. not all IBM and DELL are work fine, it will still depend on the buyer on how he/she will choose the right one that fits your qualifications. If you are familiar with the latest and the fastest computer parts I am sure you can have the best PC's you dreamin' off. :P

ok...it depends man..if your broke..buy a dell..but if you are a rich mofo..i would suggest you buy a mac G5 or an Alienware.. 7 grand updated to everything...its fast and when i say fast...i think fastest pc right now out there..and they have this new proccessor and its awesome..its Xeon now man..no more pentium hahaha peaCE!

Compaq or Dell.. I have Compaq. But really loook for the specs. My computer has pretty good specs. If you want an example of a good computer, mine is pretty good:512MB RAM160GB Hard drive3100+ AMD Sempron processor1.80GHz processor speedIt's very good, try looking for Intel Pentium 4 though...

For the every day user, yeah I'd agree with these guys a Dell would probably suit you just fine. If you want a custom gaming machine, I'd stay away from Alienware those are overpriced. ABS is really good, and you pick out everything you want from their website. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ I don't think there are really any "bad" brands out there. It just depends on what you are looking for.

143174[/snapback]

i agree that Dell is a good computer, but there are also others that are just as good, and maybe cheaper. i have a Compaq Presario 2568 CL desktop replacement notebook, and it's never given me any trouble.

Other brands i've tried are:

Acer -- not the greatest in terms of portability and robustness, but extremely affordable and a good bargain.

Asus -- good laptops, but some sticky problems with hardware on older models

Alienware -- lovely machines, ideal for high-end usage. Though alright for gaming, it's taxing on any laptop and a desktop is better. Can't afford one again, though

Toshiba -- My personal opinion: overpriced and no better than Dell or Compaq machines.

Gateway -- Overpriced and had to constantly replace parts.

as a footnote, there ARE bad brands out there.............

stay away from the minor league unbranded laptops.

Once i bought a laptop built by a local company. within the year the PAINT was almost all flaked off, i couldn't get more than halfway through a DVD without it stuttering and freezing up, and their service dept wasn't helpful or able to fix the problem. Building your own isn't a bad idea either, but the advantage of buying one from a large manufacturer is that years down the line you'll still have them providing support for your outdated model. Believe me, when you're working with these OLD machines, it's next to impossible to find drivers for some of their components unless they're posted on the manufacturer site.

Compaq or Dell..  I have Compaq.  But really loook for the specs.  My computer has pretty good specs. 

If you want an example of a good computer, mine is pretty good:

512MB RAM

160GB Hard drive

3100+ AMD Sempron processor

1.80GHz processor speed

It's very good, try looking for Intel Pentium 4 though...

152624[/snapback]

Just a subnote on the price issue: I bought mine a year ago refurbished from tigerdirect. it cost me $1000, and the price for the same model brand new was over $2000. then for a couple hundred bucks more i upgraded, so now i'm running:

P4 2.66 Ghz processor

1GB ram

80 GB hard disk

64 MB ati radeon 9200

DVD+-RW

WiFi

And for having been bought in Feburary of 2004, that was a pretty good deal. I've never had an unwarranted crash yet. The only times it did was when i used it in bed --- yes, i am quite addicted to it :P --- playing NFS underground for a couple hours, with it on a synthetic blanket, and it had all the fans blocked. i think that wouldn't count against the machine, but more against user stupidity.

Better make your own PC! It is not hard! Just try! If money is not problem then i can give some exaple: (e-shops, can help to make it)Pentium 3400MHz (LGA775) Case ATX HDD 200 GB (8MB) 7200rpm FDD 1,44 MB DDRAM 2x512 MB PC400 Video GeForce FX5700 128Mb DDR TV-out, DVI ( Or ATI RADEON9600XT 128MB BGA DDR TV-Out, DVI )DVD-RW Lite-ON CD-RW Lite-ON Sound 6 Chanel LAN 10/100 Mbps Keyboard, Mouse Optical PS/2

those are pretty good stuff man...well they are awesome..but i bet they cost like a lot of money....can you guestimate the total price of that pc???like over all..o ya do you guys know if alienware pc comes with monitors???Coz the site only shows the tower :unsure:...peaCE!