xisto Community
CaL-E

Good Computer?

umm,DELL recently issues a new laptop inspiron series,which owns intel centrino 735 cpu,ATI x300 video card,1Gbytes DDR memory and 40Gbytes harddisk.in my area,this taptop bring down its price from 16,000 to 10,200RMB(about 1,300$).with high performance and low price,getting it is the best choice now.my classmate bought one just now and the feedback is farily well.

The right brand just depends on what you are doing. If you just need to search the web or word process, anything will do but if you need to be able to game or upgrade the system i recommend either dell or alienware. Dells are amazing. I actually have owned 3 personally so i definitely would recommend them. Alienware are supposed to be very good gaming machine but i myself have not tried them but have heard good things. Hope this helps

For the every day user, yeah I'd agree with these guys a Dell would probably suit you just fine. If you want a custom gaming machine, I'd stay away from Alienware those are overpriced. ABS is really good, and you pick out everything you want from their website. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ I don't think there are really any "bad" brands out there. It just depends on what you are looking for.

You could also make your own, custumize it the way you want it and everything, that is how mine is. Its not as hard as it sounds, it might be a little more expensive than just going to the store and buying one, but hey, its customized for your needs.

Right now, I'm using my two-year-old Dell Inspiron 5100. Despite its age, I have it functioning like new still. I think Dells are great, but like with any computer, it just depends on how well you take care of it.

If you download all kinds of junk like internet toolbars and screensavers, etc, it doesn't matter what kind of computer you have because it will turn to garbage. Treat you computer like your home. Don't let all kinds of crap pile up all over the place, and don't let strange people (programs) in. The best computer is the one that has the least amount of software and a user who makes sure that they are secure and safe from internet junk.

I recommend Dell. I have worked with Compaqs several times and they are the worst! Stay away from Compaq/HP (Radio Shack <-- evil). I've used loads of older Gateways and they have all sucked too. Toshibas seem to be sometimes good, sometimes bad. And I've heard that Alienware, while seeming to be the bomb, is not all that great.

My final advice: Get a Dell. If you're going to play graphic intense games, a desktop is a must (laptops don't have good enough video memory). Get at 512MB RAM or more, 120MB graphics/video card if you're going to play games, Pentium (I heard that Centrino is bad, but I'm not sure about that), and finally: format your computer first thing after you buy it. That is, if you know how. The point of this is to remove all the pre-installed stuff. If there's anything pre-installed that you want, you will be able to get it back from the disk that comes with your new computer. It's like having a blank sheet of paper to work with -- don't start with the manufacturer's scribble. Now your new computer will run at maximum potential.

There are many other ways to keep you computer working well, but that's not what this topic is about. Good luck.

do you wanna try mac computer??
it's great.. you can choose eMac upto powerMac plus latest 64bit mac os Tiger.. good for all purposes.. and the apple machines are good quality..
it's a apache embeded os.. lot of freeware.. powerful graphical..
go Apple and check out!

Dell is the way to go, they have a good system that can let you customize your computer, but I have an HP and I really like it, no big problems yet out of it.

143026[/snapback]

Dell computer, in my opinion, are not the best kind. First of all, they are loaded as hell. I mean, they stuff programs in there that you probably will never use in your lifetime. As you know, the more programs that are on your computer only slows your computer down over time. Second, Dell computers use Intel Celeron processors. Ask anybody who knows a lot about computers, and they will say that Celeron processors are the worst kind of processors ever built. If you want a good processor, go with AMD Athlon 64. They are cheap, and they are definately worth your money.

As for the computer question that this thread is asking, I'll say go with Alienware or build your own. Alienware are expensive, but since they are made your gaming, they should work like a charm for whatever task you plan on tackling. If you build your own, you will know exactly what you're putting in it, and if anything breaks down, you can always go return that particular part and get a new one - no need to get a new computer. Second, you will gain a lot of experience in that process, so if later on in life somebody asks you to build one for them, you can do it. Third, you can customize your computer to your heart's desire if you decide to build your own computer.

I recommend that you learn to build a computer buy a good mainboard and good video card etc all the parts you want and a cool neon case and make a custom system that owns.

wohoo, I completely agree with brent!all you other guys are making dell a monopoly! :rolleyes:its not very difficult to build your own computer, its like a jigsaw puzzle with a few things you gotta watch out for.

I have a toshiba laptop and I have no complaints, in fact from what I've heard people are always pretty happy with them. someone told me that toshiba was on the top of a list along with apple of computers that needed the least tech support. they are comparibly cheaper as well, you can get more speed, memory, HD space for your $.what I would do is get information from a site like pcmag.com does a lot of the comparisons for you.apple is always on the top of such lists tho. :D