xisto Community
RGPHNX

Longhorn Is Spyware ! Before you even think about ibstalling Loghorn..read this

Do you trust Micro$oft with your confidential info ?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well getting spied is something that people would not want to be getting. But are you sure that all information of credit card are going to be copied to Microsoft? Well, I have no worries of that because I have nothing on my PC that is going to be hazardous when known. I use my PC only for games and homeworks...hehehehehehe. But still, I do hope that Microsoft will correct this problem. It is annoying as it is a potential hazard. I really do hope so.

Hi again all,

good comments. There's been lots of things to consider posted.....but

Have to agree with burex's post re:

The main question still remains unanswered..... is MY ERROR REPORT SAFE in Microsoft?s hands?

So far...When it comes right down to it... the votes in the poll pretty much say

"NO way"...

Make sure to vote

RGPHNX

Hmmm...Very interesting article and great overall discussion. While I believe that Microsoft has only the best of intentions with the whole error-reporting idea, I think that having to submit your most valueable and confidencial data should not be required when submitting to Microsoft. Unfortunately from a technical standpoint, this is somewhat necessary nowadays as there are so many factors that can affect computers (operating systems) and the errors that they make. A question to the person that started this topic, did the article state whether or not the user has the option to submit the error report or not as it is today in Windows XP? If so, then there really isn't that big of an argument to make of this; you will be ultimately held responsible if your data is sent to Microsoft or not.Anyway, whether we like it or not, our confidencial data isn't going to be so confidential in the future.AmeriBass

Good thing I now know about this. I don't do error reporting anyway but this seems bad. Giving out a document or file you don't want anyone else to see, that is bad. Confidental information going to Microsoft, company secret projects, personal information (i.e. your home address); now does Microsoft like peeking into users files, who knows.Just put it to this, DON'T DO ERROR REPORTING if you don't want Microsoft to "spy" on your files.

wow ... is longhorn really a spyware ? i think it will go into a never ending debate .. the factor is that do you believe microsoft with your confidential data? You could also say that google is a spyware .. their cookie expires year 2059 ..

OH MY GOSH!! Everyone was like waiting for the long over due release of Microsoft Windows Longhorn at the market, only to be dissapointed by this news that it is a Spyware! too bad!! Is Bill Clinton only into our money?? he has so much money on his name, what would he do with too much money anyways??

I have XP at the moment and I have had the error reporting system disabled since I got my PC due to security scares. If this information about the error reporting on Longhorn manages to spread far enough then it may prove to be the downfall of Microsoft, spending billions developing an OS no-one will buy. Why would Microsoft need that information anyway? What are they going to do with the password to your email account? I never trusted Microsoft and this is the final nail in the coffin. Definitely Linux for my next PC.

You know technically Longhorn is just meant to be a service pack ontop of Xp...there is meant to be another operating system, CODENAME blackthorn or something like that, comeing out in about 2010, but i doubt that'll be happening now...since Longhorn has already sort of steadied itself as an operating system, which is available in BETAS...I still think that everyone should just go to MAc, and leave Microsoft behind, hehe, it would be so funnyy if that happened, but unfortunately, noone really gives a damn about O.S.'s they just buy computers, not even knowing what the two letters stand for, or atleast, i think that is what most of the computer buying world do...if u know anthing about computers, u either mod ure own, or buy a mac, or run a store bought one off linux, or something like that...

...noone really gives a damn about O.S.'s they just buy computers, not even knowing what the two letters stand for...

Thats true, most people don't even look properly at the full spec list, let alone what OS they will be running. Maybe the companies don't like to display the OS too clearly as they are ashamed to use it, but Linux would just confuse users??

It is intresting, i did hear they were going to do something like this a while ago, b/c ive been tracking what Micro$oft has been doing with LongHorn, i even have a copy of it... but yeah, i doubt my copy has that program on it yet.. i think i have longhorn 4047.But i read some time ago that longhorn is going to be a software that will expire like every 6 months as an example, and then you will have to pay again to renew your product. Which that is going to be a pain if they do that.About the spyware, i do believe they will do it, but who is really going to click on that button if they know what its going to be sending??I mean, i think they would know so much about every individual, its just insaine, if that information gets into the wrong hands, then everybody is.... screwed... But i dont trust M$ at all.

A best friend of mine who works as a costumer support for Microsoft said that Windows Longhorn OS will not be available until 2007, (if i have not misheard that). And he has told me to wait for Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, it will be available before the release of Longhorn. I'll try to ask more about longhorg the next time we see each other.

Your post made me sick. Longhorn has been developing for a number of years, costing Microsoft billions. Why would Microsoft possibly want to ruin it all? Just about every OS before Longhorn had the same articles before it was released, except for maybe Windows 1.0 -3.0 (no one cared about computers). Microsoft is the most successful company the world has ever seen. Also we must remember that Bill Gates is a fully qualified nerd, he has a really bad sense of humor. Since obviously you release that no man in is right mind would publicly announce that their OS would have terrible security.

As for the personal info, welcome to the world, tons of major software companies keep your information, most of the time for your own convienece. Also no computer is *generally* made just for you, the information you give it is just that, the stuff you "said" the information was. If you are so Microsoft-paranoid, you could just use that method.