xisto Community
RGPHNX

Longhorn Is Spyware ! Before you even think about ibstalling Loghorn..read this

Do you trust Micro$oft with your confidential info ?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As for the personal info, welcome to the world, tons of major software companies keep your information, most of the time for your own convienece. Also no computer is *generally* made just for you, the information you give it is just that, the stuff you "said" the information was. If you are so Microsoft-paranoid, you could just use that method.

156031[/snapback]

Keeping my personal information on my hard disk is OK! But I would like that info to stay there, where it should be - on my computer! I wouldn't like if it would be sent across the internet to a company doesn't have a good security reputation.

By the way, Microsoft isn't that stupid to announce these "advanced features" in the form "spyware"!

I think that there was a Windows XP edition available for the east Asian market (called "starter edition")? That was basically Windows XP home edition, but it was stripped off from some of it's features so that it can be sold at a lower price (in order to reduce software piracy). Microsoft didn't call it "Windows XP home edition - but with allot of reduced features", instead it gave it a fancy name - "Windows XP starter edition").

Microsoft is selling Windows XP N (Windows XP without the Windows Media Player) in Europe (because of a court order), but it was supposed to be called "Windows XP reduced media edition". Fortunately, Microsoft's name suggestion was not accepted. So, who would buy a copy of Windows XP that contains the word "reduced" in it's title for the same price as the "Full edition"???

That's the point! The future version of windows will not be called "Longhorn - Spyware enabled edition"! It's "hidden features" will stay behind a fancy product title.

More about Windows XP - Starter Edition:

http://news.a.com.com/

Longhorn has been developing for a number of years, costing Microsoft billions. Why would Microsoft possibly want to ruin it all?

Why wouldn't Microsoft create a bug-free operating system and earn even more millions? Why did Microsoft release an operating system that slows down in a matter of one day, that requires frequent reinstallation, that has allot of security holes etc.? Here we are in the same situation...

Hi again all,
Good thoughts & comments.
re:

Why wouldn't Microsoft create a bug-free operating system and earn even more millions? Why did Microsoft release an operating system that slows down in a matter of one day, that requires frequent reinstallation, that has allot of security holes etc.? Here we are in the same situation...

Probably the best question of the century. Has to be in their SELF-"interest" somehow.. for them not to !Any thoughts on that ? Anyone ???
RGPHNX

OH MY GOSH!! Everyone was like waiting for the long over due release of Microsoft Windows Longhorn at the market, only to be dissapointed by this news that it is a Spyware! too bad!! Is Bill Clinton only into our money?? he has so much money on his name, what would he do with too much money anyways??

146812[/snapback]

Okay... having a major wtf moment reading that one. :unsure:

On topic, though. I personally don't think that MS stuff is "spyware" as such. They have too much to lose if it was discovered they were taking confidential information.

I personally do find the error reporting distasteful in a way. I have no idea what exactly is being sent. I did read what they said they sent, and even those details seemed like too much.

That said, I have used error reporting on third party apps, and the KB has given me an answer to the problem. So it can be a good thing.

If you're terrified of being spied on, though, don't use proprietary software. Open source means that if there was spying going on, it would be soon discovered by someone in the community.

Forget about Windows Longhorn!Say hello to Microsoft Windows VISTA! this will the the new name of Windows Longhorn on its release by Next year, 2006. the Beta version will be out this August. So much people have reacted to its new name.

What does "Vista" mean??? Not a bad name... (but it's definately a difference from 98, XP etc.)

More about Microsoft Windows Vista here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ http://bink.nu/Article4551.bink <--- Has a video clip that shows the announcment of the new name for Windows Try going to this address: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

and you will end up at microsoft.com; BTW: Great find, boyCradle!

My friend who works at Microsoft customer help told the information to me. I have been asking him for any news (or leakage) about Windows Longhorn, but he was busy to send about those news. But he emailed me yesterday to tell about the change of Longhorn's name.

Vista (spanish) = View (english)ie.: buena vistaIronic that Microsoft would name this OS "view," since it seems like their is some deep suspicions that Microsoft might just be out to get a sweet vista on the inner workings of your most private computer details.I'm not really concerned about Microsoft seeing everything that was happening on my computer when the OS crashed, In reality, its probably good for the development of whatever Service Pack Microsoft will undoubtedly end of releasing to re-secure its "Most Secure Operating System Ever!" Frankly, I'm more concerned that they're dumping the information into a repository that might be maliciously targeted by hackers, scammers, phishers, etc. Microsoft has too much to lose by "spying" on its customers. I think this is a bit of over-hyped scare tactics by some anti-Microsoft-ers.

Uh oh, that's too bad...Imagine that information stolen by hacker, it's obviously possibly used for identity theft or more knownly as social engineering.Mmm, time to thinking for switching ;)

I think that is terrible! I wouldn't really call it spyware but... MicroSoft looking at everything on your computer!? Hopefully when LongHorn comes out on OSes.... They will make a option NOT to send error reports!

No, actually, that's not true...

Posted Image

This does not look exactly like Windows XP. Windows are now "popping up" with an animation before it is displayed. File management is allot easier, allot of multimedia features have been added, and overall computer performance is boosted.

I like the fact that Windows Vista uses my graphics card more than ever instead of hogging my processor in order to do some effects! Now it is using pixel shaders to draw very stylish and flexible windows!

At http://winsupersite.com/, you can download a bunch of video clips and screenshots of Windows Vista (Longhorn, if you will). I saw some clips myself and I was pleased to see that the graphical user interface is greatly improved, that the search function is now searching your hard disk, the internet and your "history" for your search terms! (kind of like Google desktop search, although I sure hope that I can configure this Vista's tool to search using Google, instead of MSN search).

Posted Image

You can also create virtual folders! This feature is looking pretty good!

Take a look:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I sure hope that the new Windows version gets more secure, beautiful and functional than ever, otherwise, hello Linux (permanently this time)!

All of the pictures were downloaded from the already mentioned site: http://winsupersite.com/