xisto Community
trihhoang

Disable 'turn Off System Restore' In Windows Xp Useful for computer administrators

This method will stop people from disabling System Restore.1. Go to Run (Start->Run)2. Type gpedit.msc and click Enter3. On the left in the Computer Configuration go to Administrative Templates then System then System Restore.4. Double click on the Turn off System Restore on the screen on the right and choose Enable. Check if it's working.Go to System Properties (Control Panel -> System) and to tab System RestoreThe 'Turn off System Restore' should be now 'unclickable'

To make sure that system restore is really turned off, go to start > run type services.msc and hit enter. Scroll down to system restore services and double click. In the pop up window make sure to change startup type to "disabled" and hit ok. Restart your computer.

Yeah, honestly I don't see the point of "system restore". Sure it's there so that "in case of a malfunction we can fix your computer back to how it was" but by experience that's NOT how it works. Nearly any issue I've ever had could not be fixed by using system restore.Why? Because it only backs up certain files. It would be much, much more helpful if it were to create an encrypted image file of your computer, like on another hard drive. That would keep virii from infecting it, along with allowing you do to a REAL restore.The one with Windows is just a waste of time and space I feel.

Yeah, honestly I don't see the point of "system restore". Sure it's there so that "in case of a malfunction we can fix your computer back to how it was" but by experience that's NOT how it works. Nearly any issue I've ever had could not be fixed by using system restore.
Why? Because it only backs up certain files. It would be much, much more helpful if it were to create an encrypted image file of your computer, like on another hard drive. That would keep virii from infecting it, along with allowing you do to a REAL restore.

The one with Windows is just a waste of time and space I feel.

Well, if you feel that way, then get Norton Ghost. It creates an image of your entire hard drive.

The one that Windows uses is only a "DNA migrator"/"system backup", which backs up all your system settings and protected system files. Don't rely on System Restore for documents, because that's not what it's used for. And please don't complain, "well, Windows is stupid for not making one like that". Microsoft can't do everything for your computer, even though it really wants to so it can mess with your computer and your mind.

Not recommended to you disable the system restore, the system restore is very important.

Actually disabling System restore does have one benefit and that is if you got a nasty virus or trojan's installed on your computer in order to remove them completely. Disabling system restore before cleaning your system out will remove the trojan or virus completely without it hanging around if you happen do a system restore again.

However, you can lower the amount of space System Restore takes by going to system properties and reducing it, and I believe system restore takes up at least 12% of your hard drive space if I remember correctly. Of course you can turn off system restore through System Properties as well instead of going through all those steps as well.

System Restore has been turned off by group policy

How can I reset group policy to allow system restore to run in Windows XP Professional?

-reply by Jan Zarebicki

Replying to trihhoangHi, I turn off system restore.Deleted folders & files and icons, but after restarting computer ALL restore original condition (always the same nevertheless 20-30 GBRemoved)Windows Vista Home Basic.-reply by Boris Grinberg