xisto Community
ladyspanky

Q: Keep You Computer On Or Off When Not Needed? A: NO read this. i read it from readers digest.

I leave my PC off when I'm at my classes or work, but from the time I come home to basically the time I go to sleep, it's on. That's usually from 7-10 hours a day. I usually just let it go into standby mode.But, I did leave my PC on for 48 hours once when I was downloading something huge. I guess I should just shut it off more. *shrugs*

Mines always left one to, especially when i download. When you turn it off you always gotta wait to turn it back on and you might need it urgently so i just leave mine on. I only turn it off when it gets to hot on a hot day. Thats about the only time i close it. I do restart sometimes but not often my computer doesn't really have a problem. So....

Well I used to keep it on, at one point, it was on for a straight 3 months, but now we shut it off. We need to conserve our electricity, and save money, so we shut it off now. BUT the question of if the HDD can handle the on/off treatment doesn't matter! It's more the lil circuits and such that will take the majority of the damage!

Yeah i leave mine on for like a week at a time then reboot or turn it off for a few hours if i am not using it. The problem is that i download a good amount of files and they sometimes take a while plus i always am going from my computer to other places and then back so i dont like to have to wait for it to come back on and all. The other thing is that when my computer is on, i normally dont have a 100 watt lightbulb on so technically, i am using the same power but on something that is more useful in more ways lol.

Some say you can not buy convenience. Some people do.Leaving your computer on or to turn if off is more of a convenience issue than anything else.I personally leave my computer on 24/7 to enable instant access.If you are always on the go, like me, I need to be able to access certain information, at any given time.I can definitely not wait three minutes to a computer to boot, and then load the pile-of-programs, when I have to be going now!So in a sense, if you leave it on, it is a convenience thing.To address the electricity bill... If you use a fairly light computer, such as a laptop, the bill will not run as high as a desktop computer. Just remember to turn of the moniter kids! :unsure:

ya .. i also turn off my computer when im not using it ... it's just wasting the energy .... and my computer works unstop ... i do think that shutting it down is a good ... starting up a computer doesnt take very long time ...

I turn off the computer when I stopp using it and there isn't anyone behind me waiting to use it next. Between my mom, my sister and me, this thing is almost on 24 hours a day.

I dont like to shut down my computer cousen then i need to turn in on again, and it takes like 5min. I keep my computer on 24/7/256, or if i go to vacation i turn it off, and i restart in couple times in week.