xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
serverph

Google Maps Go sightseeing with google :P

here's a nice piece of google feature if you want some directional maps of the united states and canada. :D

https://www.google.com/maps/preview?source=newuser-ws

it's still in beta stage, so that explains its somehow limited coverage, but it would certainly include other parts of the world in due time. :D google has acquired a digital map-maker company last year, and they ought to have extensive satellite image data on every nook-and-cranny on earth. :D very soon, every person with a computer and internet connection can have a digital glimpse of any place that ever exists! "i wanna see the leaning tower of pisa..." "click!" "aaaahhh, so that's how it looks from a bird's eye-view!" :D too bad it's not real-time (images are at least 6-months old, so they say), perhaps because of privacy concerns. :D

here's a unique way of using google maps -- SIGHTSEEING the WORLD:

http://googlesightseeing.com/

some impressive images there, even a shot of a pool with a pepsi logo in it. :o

when you test out google maps, and find something interesting, share it here. :D

i wished they expanded the range to the world. i want to see different countries and stuff. but too bad i can't seee sites like the taj mahal. yes you can google it. but it would be better this way. lol. maybe its the whole terrorist issue that is dangerous.

use keyhole lt, (https://www.google.com/earth/) it is an aerial photo viewer that is quite awesome to say the least.i got a nice view of area 51 too.you can zoom in on the rooftop of a house, or search an address to find something, you can even take a look inside the grand canyon!it is truly an awesome program, worth the 20$, but you can get a 7 day trial if you want.

yeah, i believe keyhole IS the satellite image provider bought by google. :o from maps.google.com, there is a satellite option located on the upper right-hand side of the page. it provides basically the same satellite output (and you don't need to register with keyhole anymore). :D

It's much faster now that it's on google. I like how you can switch between the satellite map and the street map so quickly. I made a little collage of my life with it, houses I've lived in, schools I've gone to. Hours of fun.

Keyhole is a paid service isnt it?And I heard that Google plans to take this map service international although the data won't be as accurate as that provided by keyhole.

I guess this google service will be a very useful thing. especially for the frequent travelers. I m not sure if they have already did this, but it would be better if they would make those maps downloadable and avaliable for other countries besides The United States and Canada. Downloadable for palm top computers and mobile phones, and those gadgetz that you use on your cars. I think it would be great!

google map update: UK maps now available.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/preview?source=newuser-ws

It's only for america??

130924[/snapback]

I believe so. I mean, you can go into other parts of the world, but you cannot enter in an address of something in a different countries and expect to see the arial view of it. You can scroll to the Pacific Ocean or the Atlantic Ocean, but only addresses work for the US and the UK. -_-