xisto Community
snlildude87

Test Your Php Pages W/o Upload/internet complete *working* guide on how to test your php pages

Nice tutorial. I have seen WAMP (Windows, Apache, MySQL and PHP) befoer, but XAMPP has many more features built in and has the benefits of A) being open source :lol: having a non-installer setup for those of us with limited privelages under Windows NT/2000/XP and C) having an FTP server.

thanks Ill have to try this. It would make things alot easier. Because now I edit the php wonder if I messed up and then I upload it and if I mess up I have to edit it then upload it again overwrite the existing... Ide rather just test it before I upload it. Thanks.

People : if you're thinking about hosting a website from your home broadband connection - WATCH IT! Check your ISP's terms and conditions VERY CAREFULLY. ISP's often insert a clause saying that you are not allowed to host a website from your broadband connection because you aren't paying for uploads, only downloads, and it costs the ISP money. Tread lightly. They probably won't mind if you're hosting a testing server with low traffic, but don't try anything big.

People : if you're thinking about hosting a website from your home broadband connection - WATCH IT! Check your ISP's terms and conditions VERY CAREFULLY. ISP's often insert a clause saying that you are not allowed to host a website from your broadband connection because you aren't paying for uploads, only downloads, and it costs the ISP money. Tread lightly. They probably won't mind if you're hosting a testing server with low traffic, but don't try anything big.

209695[/snapback]

Yep. This method should only be used to test your scripts. I hated that I had to upload a script each time I made changes to it when I'm writing them, so I found a mini server that saved me a bunch of time.

Also, hosting your own site requires a lot more than you think. Not only would your ISP have to allow, but you would probably have to spend money on electricity...not to mention security to keep out hackers and viruses on your server.

hey guys.. recently before i read this thread I also made the same effort.. trying to test both php and mysql in my compter without internet connections.. the catch is i use different method... so i want to know guys what you think to my appraoch is it good enough or i have to do it the way this tut said.. anyway here is what i do....

first i install the windows web server IIS..
then install PHP, the same version Xisto has..
and then install MySql the same version with Xisto again and then
install PhpMyAdmin Xisto is using....

and so here I am not needing to upload my php codes even the database usage...

the only thing i dont like is to view the php pages i have to use this url
LOCALHOST/index.php which means i cant directly click the index.php file but open first the IE and type the LOCALHOST/index.php...

so what do you think? to those expert out there.. is this a good practice or not?

I had a miniserver setup with IIS, and let's just say that I soon received a rootkit and I will never use IIS again. Perhaps someone more knowledgable can discuss the relative security profiles of IIS vs. Apache and how much work has to go into "securing" the installation.

Uh oh i think i did it wrong or somehting well it seems to work. In The XAMPP control panel everything is running and stuff. but when i tryed to goto the php test page thing it said "The Connection Was Refused When attempting to contact localhost"snlildude87: do you know what could have happened?

Nice tutorial! But I'm afraid to set up servers on my computer... for some reason I just don't trust them...Also, another good server software is Xerver... I've never tested it though.

Tip: If you use a firewall, it should ask you if you want to allow the program to open the required ports (ex. ZoneAlarm will pop up a balloon asking if Apache can act as a server).

Hy, great tut simple to follow :DMy problem is getting to my server using the external ip... I always get my router page :angry: when i ask people to check out my external ip they get this page can not be displayed.My wild guess would be that the page that can?t be displayde (however that is written)is the router page.I have forwarded port 80 to my internal ip on the router but he doesn?t seam to care :D What to do??? :angry: