xisto Community
guangdian

English Name Or Chinese Name Must i use Eglish name?

guangdian The recent popularity of using English Christian names such as David, Doris, Donald or Diane to replace Chinese name, should it be discouraged ? Our parents spent so much time to search for a good name for us, and yet we don’t use it. 从洋媚外This is unacceptable

Japanese would use their Japanese name such as Yamaguchi Junko. Thais would mantian their long name such as Chalermasak Lekmaneechoti. Even the very Bristish influent Indians would rather use their difficult pronounciation name such as Balachandra Viswanatna.

If English name is convenient and easy for foreigners, then, the following celebrities should change their Hanyu pinying name into English names ? 李 鹏 (Richard Li) 李光耀(Raymond Lee), 李宁(Roger Li), 李嘉诚(Richard Lee), 李登辉(Ronald Li). Therefore, our integrity of Chinese name is vital for our respect.

I can accept English name with similar meaning or translation of their real Chinese name such as 王冉苒 (Sunrise WANG), JACK CHENG (成杰克);李美丽(Mary LI) 孔尊尼 (Johnny KONG) 郑成功 (Success ZHENG) and of course myself : 夏羽添 (Rainyday)

Many of us were ignorant that it is necessary to use English name when work in the hopitalility industries, such as Shanghai Hyatt Hotel. Where employees was asked to wear ENGLISH ONLY Name. Except the Japanese and French where they used their owned names. WHY ?

If you do have a chance to visit top hotels in Korea, Japan, Thailand, India and so on. They don’t use English names like we do here. I appreciate the self respect of some top architect 贝津铭 (I. M. PEI) Cellonist 马友友 (Yo Yo MA)

Scientist 已故发明家王安博士 (Dr. An WANG) stayed in USA; Actors such as 周润发, his English name is Chow Yoo Fatt, 或 李连杰 (Jet LI) , it sound better than 成龙 (Jacky) 或 刘德华 (Andy LAU may be 华仔 is more affectional )

If we don’t respect our Chinese name, Foreigners would always insist us to change our name into English Chritian name, which is popular in Hong Kong. 孔子曰:名不正则言不顺, 言不顺则事不成, 可见名字对我们中华民族是很重要的.

In my honest opinion - I think you're thinking this through too much. When it comes down to it, it's really up to you whether you want to use your chinese name or convert it to english. It's true, the english name is conveniant to foreigners but it doesn't mean they go around forcing people to convert their names. You don't have to debate it and discuss how other famous people use their chinese name or english name or how some japanese or french don't seem to change their names. :( You mentioned if you don't respect your chinese name, foreigners would insist you change it? I've never seen that happen before. But if you don't respect your chinese name then wouldn't you want to change it anyway?You want to know MUST you use an english name? The simple answer to that is no. You can choose to use english name only if you want to but you don't HAVE to. If you're more comfortable using your chinese name then simply don't convert. I think most people would respect whatever your name is anyway. :(

Personally - I believe you should just use your chinese name, and teach others how to pronounce it. You should be proud of your heritage, and not let others change it. I believe the reason hotels force people to use english names is solely to protect their employees, now how this works, I am surely clueless.

Funny because a while ago, I remember discussion about why Korean & Japanese cinema aren't coming to overseas while Chinese actors are making a name for themselves here and someone said it's b/c of their names (i.e. too difficult to remember). I don't agree with it, but this could be one of the disadvantages.

Heh, i think that we chinese people have to preserve our heritage. I don't have a english name and i am proud of that :(

Hope to get an english name from youEnglish Name Or Chinese Name

Hi 夏羽添 (Rainyday),

Could you please help to creat an English name based on my Chinese name features:

My chinese name is: Li Chunyi,  I am male and was born in day Middle time 12:00, please help to create an english name, which will  have relations with my chinese name, or meanful with my character, sound loudly and remember easily...