xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Spectre

Google Bomb

I was just wondering if Trap 17 members would be interested in working on creating a new 'Google Bomb'? If enough people join in, then it is very easy to do.

We could work out what it would be and what it could lead too later, if enough people are interested.

You don't have to be hosted with Trap 17 - you just need to have a web page that is crawled by Google. If your site isn't in their database, then you can get it added here.

Let me know your thoughts.

I'm puzzled as to what this Google Bomb entails. When I saw this topic I thought it was for something malicious to attack Google, but then I thought, why would you post this on a forum like this? It obviously means something that isn't as malicious as it sounds, am I right?Please explain more...

A 'Google Bomb' is where a network of sites work to try and get a certain search phrase directed to one particular site.

Examples of these include:

miserable failure

waffles

end of the internet

talentless hack

And a host of others.

It basically comes together by exploiting the way in which the Google search engine works. If you link to a certain site with some certain words, then when Google crawls your web page, it will use those words to point to the linked page rather than an actual URL. If enough sites do this, then the pages 'ranking' will rise in Google, until it eventually reaches the top. Clicking on the 'I'm feeling lucky' button on the Google web site takes you directly to the first result found, so only being on the top makes this really work.

Putting together a Google Bomb here would involve a number of people who have their web sites crawled by Google putting a link on their web page, texted with whatever word or phrase gets decided upon. It will only make it to the top if everyone uses the same words and links.

'Google Bomb' is just the term made up by the person who originally figured out how to exploit Google in this manner. You can read more about it here (or by searching for 'talentless hack').

Google Bombs are in no way malicious (unless they are taking a stab at someone personally), nor are they illegal.

thank z for explaining it i was scared for a second that someone wanted to end google. it sounds easy enough, could you write a tutorial on how to or send a link to one please?

My participation all depends on your intention. What are you trying to get at the top of the google search? I mean, if I like it and it's within Trap's TOS, then I'll consider it.

Ok, first thing you guys need to realize is this is a 4 year old topic, second thing is that google changed their algorithm so googlebombs don't work anymore. The website actually has to have the term somewhere on the page you are linking for it to count, that way people cant do bombs like "miserable failure" anymore.

I was just wondering if Trap 17 members would be interested in working on creating a new 'Google Bomb'? If enough people join in, then it is very easy to do.
We could work out what it would be and what it could lead too later, if enough people are interested.

You don't have to be hosted with Trap 17 - you just need to have a web page that is crawled by Google. If your site isn't in their database, then you can get it added here.

Let me know your thoughts.

I know i am new to this forum, and also that the post is very old, but still i would like to know what exactly is meant by google bomb and how actually do you create it?

I know i am new to this forum, and also that the post is very old, but still i would like to know what exactly is meant by google bomb and how actually do you create it?

To help explain it a little, you must know how Google "ranks" websites.

More or less it goes like the following...

There is a website, let's call it "Website A." This website is about cups.
Now the owner decides he wants to get his website up to the #1 spot on Google, for a keyword.
He chooses a random keyword that probably is not already taken up - say "horsy sauce."
He finds others to then link to his website using the term "horsy sauce" all over the place. Something like "Have you ever wanted horsy sauce (link here) ? If you do, (link here) has the horsy sauce for very cheap..." Story continues along here with more links to the site and more 'horsy sauces.'

When the other sites are crawled it then links up Website A with "horsy sauce." Now since it is not a commonly wanted keyword, the chances are that the competition is very small.

So you give it a while and Google will slowly let the competition go and decide who wins (this is an on-going process. It never ends)

The competition is saying "Who has the most websites linking to them for this keyword, 'horsy sauce,' and how much can we trust those websites?"

The trust is based on the "page rank" within Google. That represents thousands of factors, but is ultimately Google's trust-indicator. Higher rank is more trust.

The website with the most trust gets top ranking, second most gets second ranking, etc.

So more or less Google Bombing is the process of choosing a random keyword (in this case 'horsy sauce' and having many others set up their websites to "boost" your rank using that keyword.

I hope that better explains exactly what is happening in the process.