xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

New Zealand> What do you think of my country??

Is New Zealand similar to Norway? I have heard many say that. Fjords and mountains?

Yes, we have Fiordland in the far South of the South Island, and it has often been compared to Norway. Also in the South Island, running from top to bottom along the West Coast is the Southern Alps, a spectacular mountain range that also has some of NZ's best ski fields.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by travstatesmen (see edit history)

Wow those pictures are amazing, I am thinking of immigrating to New Zealand. Either New Zealand or Australia. If I go to New Zealand I would like to go to Auckland as it's the biggest city and I'm assuming the easiest to find a job. And hopefully the warmest climate compared to the rest of the country :)

Yeah, well, the only reason I'm still in Auckland is for the work. There are much nicer places to live than Auckland, which is just another city, much like anywhere else. Sure, we have two harbors in Auckland, the Manukau and the Waitemata harbors, and Auckland is known as "the city of sails" for that reason, as we have a huge number of sailing yachts out on the harbours. But apart from that, yeah, it's a place to find a job. Depends on your skills though, of course. If you happen to be a sharemilker, for instance, there is plenty of work available throughout the rest of the country, and lambing season will often provide work for the physically fit. Metallurgists would no doubt be welcome in the Coromandel and Bay of Plenty region where the gold mining is happening. Speaking of the B.O.P., if you are looking for a quick start to working in NZ, get into the harvest work, such as the kiwifruit industry, there's always plenty of work to be done down there picking, packing, coolstore work, pruning, etc. I've done that before and was able to keep employed, or at least have a surplus of finances, until the next harvest season. As long as you don't mind physically challenging work, that is!But if you are looking for more sedentary work in New Zealand, such as sitting on your backside all day and staring at a computer screen, as I do now, then Auckland is definitely the place to be!

I would love to visit NZ sometime, it looks like such a beautiful country. I know a lot of the Hercules/Xena tv shows were supposed to be filmed there, and those shows have some of the most breath taking views I have ever seen. I would love to see them in person. The fact that there may be more sheep and cows than humans is certainly not a distraction to the country. Actually, that may be a plus too. The less people the less agrivation!