xisto Community
iGuest

Game Maker

Sure Game Maker creams it but those are OPEN SOURCE OMG!!! And a buncha people work on them. It would be easy to advance them. By the way 3D in Game Maker is pretty good but takes way to long. You could read a whole C++ book by the time you finish and example or game!

53322[/snapback]

Actually, most C++ books I have seen are quite large, and unless you just pittle through the book without actually learning anything, then I would say you are incorrect. At the very least you are right about perhaps creating a whole, completed game in 3D taking longer, I would partially agree with you on that because someone might want to create a very large game and that could take a while. However, a 3D example could only take a few hours to create perhaps, but not more than a day. Furthermore, you can't expect a game-making program aimed at beginners to allow you to create fantastic 3D games as well as a mainstream programming language like C++. You're comparing apples and oranges, in my opinion.

I have been using Game Maker for a while, I own a registered copy of Game Maker 6.0. I have seen my fair share of "game-creating" programs out there to help people make games with ease, but I must say that Game Maker has the closest balance between programming flexibility and beginner usability (if that's a word).

Not only does GM allow you to program in GML (which is very similar to java or C), it also has a visual drag-and-drop programming system that is very useful and very easy to use. Both of these methods combined allow you to create anything you can think of with ease. There are basically no limitations to what you can do with GM, no limit on what type of game, no limit on how big it is, and most importantly - no limit to what you can do with your completed game. Even free users of GM are allowed to sell their games that they create.

All in all, I'd say Game Maker is at LEAST worth checking out. If you don't know where to start, there is lots of help available at the forums (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/). I think the current registration fee is ~$18, and let me tell you that even though that seems somewhat steep, it is worth it.

The current registation fee is $20 or 15 Euros (how do you make a Euro symbol?) 3D game programming in GM isn't very time consuming, if you read the manual and practice you will be pretty good, I managed to make a massive jungle for my first game in a few days, it is much more difficult getting the 3D models... GM-University is correct though, there is 3D model support if you take the time, also, if you have a finished 3D model, I can create a .dll based off of that (by converting the model to C code by hand, then setting it up to draw when functions are anounced) for free if I have the time.

Let me also point out that Game Maker's abilities can't really be judged by looking at 95% of what the Game Maker community produces. No offense to anyone whot hinks they may fall into that category but it is true. Game Maker has an amazing game-building base and can provide a very pragmatic and detailed designer the tools with which to create a commercially recognizable game. I say you can't jusge the program's ability by looking at 95% of the community's games because 95% of the community can't buld a decent game compared to what Game Maker can accomplish. The games (or programs) people produce with Game Maker depend solely on the designer(s) behind the project. I believe anyone can agree with that -- for any piece of development software. Most of the users of Game Maker fall into the program's target users - people who have little to no programming knowledge who, more than likely, experiment with the program for a few days, make some simple childish game, and then uninstall Game Maker from their system.

Game Maker isn't limited to just games though, I've found that many of the creations that really show it's true potential are programs like Copa Online, Easy PC Security, and Fruit Face. Their are great games though like Jumper, Liquisity, 2000X, and others.

Game Maker isn't limited to just games though, I've found that many of the creations that really show it's true potential are programs like Copa Online, Easy PC Security, and Fruit Face.  Their are great games though like Jumper, Liquisity, 2000X, and others.

67607[/snapback]

Yes. This is what makes Game Maker such a productive and efficient program to use versus others. With Game Maker you aren't limited to a certain genre of game (like an RPG or 3-dimensional shooter) -- and you are not even limited by what type of program you create. Though the Game Maker software and code is geared toward developing small (or even large-scale games), you can still use the code as well as other helpful functions to create a neat utility or helpful program such as those you have mentioned. Sometimes people just make things that are pointless, but interesting. This allows people to develop their abstract ideas and to further test them before they use them in a professional environment or on a registered product. For example, there is a program out there that will let you load an image and it will generate HTML markup that, when viewed, is nearly identical to the picture you loaded. While this is almost completely useless on its own, it might be incorporated into another project in the future as a special feature or even as the selling point of a mainstream program.

Now I'm too lazy to read all the posts on this topic, so I apologize if this has already been said but I think the best gaming launguage for begginer/intermediate is DarkBASIC.

::: Why? :::

When you begin to program games, it can be very off-putting to use a launguage which just makes no sense at all. Most people use WYSIWYG software, like 3dGamemaker because they do not want all the hassle of coding. Don't! you are usually limited to a very small number of features and you can not expand your game or use your own ideas. Fair enough, 3dGamemaker is a good program if you like that sort of thing and you just want to muck about, but you will be laughed out of the publishers office and have to pay ?100+ for a license.

However, DarkBASIC, (Trying not to sound like an advertisment) combines the power of DirectX with good (Late Ps1 - Early Ps2) graphics, and it's pretty easy to master. personally, I think if you can code HTML then, with a bit of practice, DarkBASIC is a walk in the park. The main differnece with output compared to a WYSIWYG program, is that you are free to do what you like. With other programs, you put in a building, and you can bump into it, that's it! However, with DarkBASIC, you could grow wings, fly to the top, and do a river-dance on the roof : it's up to you!

Coding is not that hard. For example :

(DarkBASIC code : What this command does)

:: Make Light 1 : Make light 1

:: Turn camera left 2 : Turns the camera left at a speed of 2 (Forget this, a speed of 2 is just DarkBASIC's way of speed)

:: Move Camera 2 : Move camera in units of 2

:: If Sound playing(1)=0 then play sound 1 : If sound 1 isn't playing, then play it.

::: What alternatives are there? :::

This really depends on your budget. After the BASIC language, costs tend to sky-rocket. If your thinking about making games for a living, then look at this below. it's the path I'd take early on. You simply buy the next program when your wallets fat enough:

Now I'm too lazy to read all the posts on this topic, so I apologize if this has already been said but I think the best gaming launguage for begginer/intermediate is DarkBASIC.

When you begin to program games, it can be very off-putting to use a launguage which just makes no sense at all. Most people use WYSIWYG software, like 3dGamemaker because they do not want all the hassle of coding. Don't! you are usually limited to a very small number of features and you can not expand your game or use your own ideas. Fair enough, 3dGamemaker is a good program if you like that sort of thing and you just want to muck about, but you will be laughed out of the publishers office and have to pay ?100+ for a license.

However, DarkBASIC, (Trying not to sound like an advertisment) combines the power of DirectX with good (Late Ps1 - Early Ps2) graphics, and it's pretty easy to master. personally, I think if you can code HTML then, with a bit of practice, DarkBASIC is a walk in the park. The main differnece with output compared to a WYSIWYG program, is that you are free to do what you like. With other programs, you put in a building, and you can bump into it, that's it! However, with DarkBASIC, you could grow wings, fly to the top, and do a river-dance on the roof : it's up to you!

:: Turn camera left 2 : Turns the camera left at a speed of 2 (Forget this, a speed of 2 is just DarkBASIC's way of speed)

:: If Sound playing(1)=0 then play sound 1 : If sound 1 isn't playing, then play it.

This really depends on your budget. After the BASIC language, costs tend to sky-rocket. If your thinking about making games for a living, then look at this below. it's the path I'd take early on. You simply buy the next program when your wallets fat enough:

DarkBASIC (About ?20)

Blitz3D (About ?50)

3d Game Studio (About ?80)

GameStudio & gameSpace Package (About ?200)

And then from there on, your into serious stuff.

I hope I've helped. If you want any other information at all, then feel free to e-mail me at vusay@hotmail.co.uk. Thank you.

Lee Webber - Vusay

DarkBASIC (About ?20)

Blitz3D (About ?50)

3d Game Studio (About ?80)

GameStudio & gameSpace Package (About ?200)

And then from there on, your into serious stuff.

I hope I've helped. If you want any other information at all, then feel free to e-mail me at vusay@hotmail.co.uk. Thank you.

Lee Webber - Vusay

152536[/snapback]

You do realize you effectively double-posted in one post.

I think GameMaker has a pretty good 3dengine. I've seen a book (that I'm maybe going to buy) only for setting up your gameengine (and a little leveldesign). It's about 418 pages but then you still have to design your levels because they're not nearly good enough if you're going to make 3dgames in c++. A good book is "Mastering Unreal technology, the art of level design".

Anyway. I like using gm and its 3d functions. I'm now making a first person shooter and it looks pretty wel (if I'm allowed to say that about my own work:p).

I have tried this program and love it! I have used it for more than a year now and have made many games. This program is also great for making regular programs, like a chat program! If you want some free games made by this program you can got to:

Game Maker Games

Once again this program is AWSOME!

THANX
David H. :D

This is one of the best free Game-making programs on the internet. It it an outstanding program with easy-to-use tools for beginners, and a solid flexible programming Language for advanced users. I've been using this program for over

a year now, and I must say that it is amazing. It may not be as good as OpenGL

C++, but it's still worth the download. You can also register if you want to use some of the more advanced functions, such as Multiplayer functions, DLL manipulation, and such. If you would like to take a look at this program, click on the link below:

https://www.yoyogames.com/

Register at the forums also for assistance in using Game Maker. Well, I hope you check out Game Maker, and I hope you see what it can do.

8084[/snapback]

i havent read all of the past replies. but i used it a while it takes ages to learn i gave up with it but with the time i was using it for i thought the game maker had alot of potential . It was much of a program if your making an rpg it takes alot of thinking to make a simple shooting game and you need to be able to get the grasp of things quickyl thus the reason i quit i was slow at the time may give it another go another day.

But personally after learning javascript and php im gonna head into C++ and try making games using that language.

I think as i said it has potential but its complex to learn aswell.

I think the graphics are too limited. i mean sure you can create your own games which is a concept which makes you want to do it but not if the graphics are all that bad.