xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
holyium

need help with drop down menus!!

can any1 help me give a simple solution about mamking drop down menus with any programs or simple html coding. i want my site to look better than my friends ones but basic things like this are difficult for noobs like me to overcome

In HTML you can use the 'select' tag to make a drop down menu. Inside it, you use the 'option' tag to add elements to the menu.<select multiple name="NAME" size=?></select>Creates a scrolling menu. Size sets the number of menu items visible before you need to scroll. <select name="NAME"></select>Creates a pulldown menu <option>Sets off each menu item For example this will create a menu with two items:<select name="menu1"><option>Element 1<option>Element 2</select>To make better use of this, it would be good to learn javascript too.

try<select><optgroup label="Pick One" title="Pick"><option value="232"> Choise 1 < /option></optgroup></select>with optgroup users can't select Pick One, it is just use as a title insted of <select><option> Pick One </option><option value="232"> Choise 1 < /option></select>

DO you mean as in the BASIC drop down menu where you click the arrow and it comes down. Or the scripts/java ones ?? Where it sort of does the things like when you click your start button and the link on that...oh gawd I've confused my self

Go to Guistuff.com. They have a lot of cool free tools and one of them is, yes, an image dropdown menu! Have fun!

I know people have been suggesting loads of sites but well heres another one ...
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/
oh and if you want to change the look of your NORMAL drop down menu in your css code put something like

option{background:#FF99FF;color:#000000;}

sort of thing...to change what it looks like =D

Besides Javascript, don't forget about CSS when making dropdown menus!

With CSS, you can make your options look better. You can use color, font, and basically any other generic attribute, even background images (I haven't tested this last one) to make it look cool! Stuff that you can't do with just HTML....

You can combine this with Javascript to make some really cool effects, such as changing the color when you hover over or select an option.

To learn CSS, i suggest htmldog.com. It teaches HTML and XHTML all in one go, without even looking back at old standards. You also might wanna check out w3schools.com, although I find W3Schools to be more of a crash-course site.