xisto Community
sunkist

Url Cloaking

I use URL framing/cloaaking for my domain. I have my actual website hosted on my ISP. I get a lot of free space there. Its fast. Its always up. So overall, pretty happy with the space.The problem is: No matter what page you are on in my site, the URL does not change. No subdomains show. I am also concerned about how this affects my ranking the search engines.Thanks!

This, I do not believe, should have any affect on your PageRank in Google or ranking in any other search engines because they index the URL of your page - not what's showing in your address bar.If I were you, though, I'd make good posts and get hosted by Xisto, so you can kill your URL cloaking. URL cloaking is a bad idea anyway (no offense to you because you did not do it intentionally) because if a user likes a page and wants to visit it next time, that user will have a heck of a hard time finding that page all over again.:)

URL cloaking is really cheap. Most of the time, they create a framed page (which is why it only shows the top URL and no sub pages). The frame is setup to be like 1pixel and no scroll bars or borders so you can't see it. If you can, use one of those URL Masking services. They are better because they will actually redirect all the sub pages as well. That way people can bookmark specific pages, etc.

Hi:Thanks for your replies. What are the URL masking services? Do you have any recommendations?My page is on my ISP. I would rather not have the long and unprofessional URL assoicated with the ISP. Members.cox etc.MY ISP wont let me do Cigi, so I may have to move my site. But overall, I am happy with them other than those two problems.If I host here, will the pages have the subdomains so people can bookmark them? Thanks

If I host here, will the pages have the subdomains so people can bookmark them? 

70610[/snapback]

Yes, you will have subdomains so people can bookmark your site. I see you also have a domain, histology-world.com. Why not point the name servers to ns1.trap17.com and ns2.trap17? Then, you can have a domain instead of a subdomain so people can bookmark the domain instead. :)

actually I am mistaken as well. It is not URL masking but called PATH FORWARDING. This is where even subdirectories are cloaked in addition to the root.

Example: yoursite.url.com/ shows up and also yoursite.url.com/images/ shows up in the browser address bar.

I believe http://www.freedomain.pro/ has this service for free with no ads.

so your site will be yourname.co.nr

This, I do not believe, should have any affect on your PageRank in Google or ranking in any other search engines because they index the URL of your page - not what's showing in your address bar.

70420[/snapback]

My understanding is that, yes, it will hurt you on Google because it (and other search engines) don't like frames. This page explains Google's attitude towards frames.

My understanding is that, yes, it will hurt you on Google because it (and other search engines) don't like frames. This page explains Google's attitude towards frames.

139936[/snapback]

yes i also agree with Tyssen, one more thing there are generally two types of redirection, 1. temp. 2. perm.

if a page is temp. redirected there is every possibility that ur page does not get indexed with high priority, which will let you down in page rank. At the same time if it is perm redirection, its the perfect redirection.

This holds gud for any redirected page. In some case if you have no other option other than rediectection go for perm. redirection, which can be achieved by adding some lines in the .htaccess file. hope this one help all those who really want redirect