xisto Community
sheepdog

Pet Peeve

Ok, I have a new pet peeve. We are becoming so hooked on modern technology that there are some people out there that can't even give you directions to where they live! Can you imagine not knowing where you live well enough to tell someone how to get there? How crazy is that? You ask for directions and they send you an address? What dang good is an address if you don't have gps? If you are one of those people who do not want any and everyone to know exactly where you are all the time and refuse to use gps your pretty much screwed as more and more people become slaves to technology. What are people going to do if the power goes out and they don't have their little gizmo's to direct them home? What a sad and pathetic state to be in.

And on this basically same subject. I have come to the conclusion that the biggest threat to freedom loving Americans is not communists or terrorists, but GOOGLE! That's right, Google. We have absolutely no privacy at all anymore. They track your every move. With their satellite's in orbit taking pictures of every inch of property we own, to their spying on what you are doing on your computer so they can sell you stuff. I didn't realize how bad it was until yesterday. Planning a trip for this weekend and wanted to see if there were any Motel 6's along the route, in case we get tired and can't make the trip all in one day. Do you know, within an hour after making the search, every time I log into my facebook page there are now ads for Motel 6. I have NEVER seen an ad there for it before. They have to be tracking everything we search for. This really pissed me off. Every time I highlight anything like just to copy and paste it, it shows up in the Google search, and I am really offended by that. They could be getting email addresses and all kinds of information that is none of their damn business.

What dang good is an address if you don't have gps?

If you don't have gps, you can have paper maps? It's somehow old-fashioned, but it's still useful.

On the paper map you look roughly where your goal is, and when you arrive near it, you ask people around there. Of course, you need to be able to speak English with people around you. Some guys don't like asking people where to go, they prefer ask their gps. Why not?

Same thing playing chess or playing bridge, they play with a machine instead of playing with a human being, why not?

And, of course, yes, google and Facebook do things you don't like. However, if you don't like google, simply don't use it! They give you some info's for free, and they get infos from you, that's the goal, such is life.

I hate advertising, while I'm watching a movie on the TV I get ads for a brand new car I don't want to buy, or I am told to drink a beer while I would rather have a coke, such is life, when I'm tired I power off the TV.

Sure, I've used paper maps for years......see, I've been around longer than Google.  I have also printed out the MapQuest type computer maps and used them with fairly good luck.  They are a bit hard to follow though until you get used to them.  I don't like how they just show miles between road changes and never mention any towns or anything so you have a clue as to where you are, but it can be done. 

And if I don't use Google, do you think they will take the satellite pictures of my home and property off line? I doubt it.  I don't like that and I don't like them snooping on my computer when I am working on other things.  It's one think if I'm doing a Google search and they record some information about me, but if I'm not it's none of their damn business what I choose to highlight in a document I am working on. 

It's one think if I'm doing a Google search and they record some information about me, but if I'm not it's none of their damn business what I choose to highlight in a document I am working on.

Such is world. If you don't like google, you should not use their search engine. If you want to ask google a question, you should accept that he asks to know something from your computer.

Unfortunately, private search engines organizations did not survive, very few people accepted to pay in order to look for some info.