xisto Community
yordan

My Usb Backups Folder Disapeared [Solved]

I usually put my documents on a USB disk, just in case.

As my disk space start being too small, I decided a nice cleanup.

All my old Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel files went to the g:backups folder.

Just in case, I created the same folder g:backups on a second usb disk.

And I removed the files from my c: disk.

A couple of years later, I wanted to have some old documents back.

And the folder g:backups simply disapeared! All the other folders (photos, souces) where there, only backups disapeared.

Same thing on the other disk.

And of course, same thing on each computer, either Windows 7 or Windows 8!

Checking "show hidden and system files" changed nothing!

Of course, I knew the folders were there, because I could see them from a Linux system, only on Windows systems the folder was unreachable.

Strangely enough, "dir g:backups" showed me the subfolders, so only g:backups could not be seen.

Then, the solution was quite obvious :

In a "cmd" command line window I typed :

attrib -s -h g:backups

And then it worked, now I can see my backups folder, I can enter inside and read my old texts and my old shell-scripts!

Frankly, I was rather surprized, that the "show system and hidden folders" in the "options" menu did not work, whereas the "attrib" command line worked.

"-S" means "not a system filder", and "-H" means "shall not be hidden".

So, command lines instructions are still useful, only ms-dos people remember them, however they have to be used sometimes even with Windows7 or windows8!

Now, the funny question : do you sometimes use text commands inside a command-line window?