xisto Community

I was wondering if there is a way to fix my desktop icons so they stay where I put them. Seems like every time I rearrange them the next time I go to look for a file it's moved and I have trouble spotting it again. Many of the icons never move, it's mostly the ones I make. I keep word files on my desktop, usually make up one for each litter of pups so I can keep track of how many pups there are and which customer is getting which pup. It's really annoying to not be able to find them. I do have a lot on my desktop to go threw.

Have a look at your desktop properties.

(right-click on the desktop, simply, a menu will appear) and have a look at "display", you should see something like "big icons", "small icons" and "automatically re-arrange icons".

Un-check the "automatically rearrange", that's all :D

In Windows 7 the first item of the menu is:

View.

Putting the mouse pointer on this word opens the next menu.

This next menu contains the item Yordan mentions.

This item is called:

Auto arrange icons.

You can make sure this item doesn't have a huge V in front of the words.

Posted Image

Edited by fila (see edit history)

Eeek, it wasn't checked and I made the mistake of checking it and really screwed things up! I've unchecked it now, and finally got everything rearranged, but lets see if it stays where I put them. I'm betting it won't.

I haven't done any updates. Not deliberately at any rate, I suppose the computer updates itself in some instances, but even when I'm pretty sure there have been no changes those desktop icons still jump all over the place. Really annoying.

I suppose the computer updates itself in some instances,

It's rather difficult to prevent a Microsoft Windows computer from updating itself each time you connect to the internet. :(

I don't think it's updating. I was looking for one file earlier this afternoon and I moved it back to where I wanted it and then opened it, and 5 minutes later it was back down where the computer wanted it again. This is really pissing me off.

Unless auto-arrange is checked, the icons shouldn't be moving about on their own. I just ditched the desktop icons and added the desktop toolbar to the task bar so I get to choose what I want from a list, just like a Start Menu. Apart from keeping the desktop neat and tidy, it also lets me see the entirety of my desktop in the solid color that I set it to be (nope, I don't have a wallpaper and I don't want one).

Auto arrange isn't checked, so that's not it. It's just easier for me to have them on the desktop, providing I can find them rather than having to go threw another menu, I flip between them frequently every day, adding notes about customers and pups and stuff so I can keep track of sales. One in particular, a notepad file I call E cheats, I used practicly every time I answer an email, it's prewritten sentences/paragraphs that are answers to the same questions I always get asked over and over, like how much is shipping or do you take pay pal, that sort of thing.