xisto Community
manuleka

15Pin Male Vga Cable Missing One Pin

one of my extension VGA Cables have one pin missing... just notice it todaywhat could the effect of this be on display? although there is no noticeable effect because this cable is used to connect to the TV and i haven't really played anything 1080p on to it

If you look at the pins (male connector) face on with the widest end at the top the first left 3 pins are the RGB, the 4th pin shouldn't matter, it's just an ID pin. The 5th pin is Ground. The 6th pin starts below the first pin and 6-8 are ground, usually grounding for the RGB. The 9th pin shouldn't matter and can infact not be present which might be the pin you're referring to? The 10th pin is another ground. Then below the 6th pin you have pins 11 to 15. 11 and 12 are ID pins, 13 and 14 are Horizontal Sync and Vertical Sync and 15 is another ID pin.It probably would have been easier to just say what pins you need, cause in reality, you only need 8 pins from vga to make it work.So pins to make it work are 1, 2, 3, 5, 12, 13, 14 and 15. You probably could get away with not having 12 either, but they can use it for other data. pin 5 for grounding actually combines 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10. Most ID pins are just manufacturer data to maybe tell what the device is.If you're looking at a female version, it's reversed with pin 1 starting on the right side.Cheers,MC

It's not really a ground pin, but could be connected to ground to make it easier for it to link from 5 to 10 in one go. Basically it's a no connection pin meaning not wired and more commonly a reserve, but I guess you could join it to ground as it's serving no purpose. Since VGA is old technology, it will probably not have any changes to it's spec which means it'd be safe that no one will actually use pin 9 for anything other than ground or nothing. VGA probably needs to be obsoleted so that other technologies can prevail as there are far better ways now and yet we still continue with an outdated technology.Cheer,MC

It's not really a ground pin, but could be connected to ground to make it easier for it to link from 5 to 10 in one go. Basically it's a no connection pin meaning not wired and more commonly a reserve, but I guess you could join it to ground as it's serving no purpose. Since VGA is old technology, it will probably not have any changes to it's spec which means it'd be safe that no one will actually use pin 9 for anything other than ground or nothing. VGA probably needs to be obsoleted so that other technologies can prevail as there are far better ways now and yet we still continue with an outdated technology.
Cheer,

MC

it certainly is an old technology... i don't see any recent/new video cards made with VGA connection... i always have a few converters/adapters DVI-VGA, DP-VGA, miniDP-VGA lying around because i still own and use old VGA monitors hehe