xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gunbound

Winxp-sp2 Firewall Safe enough if all files backed-up on external hard drive?

Other posts about firewalls haven't satisfied my questions about Windows XP Service Pack 2's Firewall. I want to know if there's any reason why not to trust it alone. I already have Norton, but the damn thing takes up so many resources... this is my situation:

I'm just about to get a new external hard drive, on which I will back-up all my files. Then I'm going to reformat my hard drive, as it hasn't been since I got this comp two years ago and it needs it. I don't have a whole lot of resources to compromise on this computer, so I want to minimize the amount of software I put back on it. Since Norton System Works is such a hog, that's gotta go, and probably Norton Internet Security as well, if that's possible.

I'm also behind a router, but I'm not sure it it has a firewall.

Since I'll have all my files kept on an external hard drive, I suppose that I won't need to be as concerned about getting a virus, or am I wrong?

Can you tell me if or how I'll be suseptible to a virus on my external hard drive?

Say, I did get a virus, trojan, worm, etc., and I couldn't find it with Ad-aware, and I had big problems, I could just reformat my hard drive (in this rare occurance). Any problem with that plan?

All suggestions welcome. If you have a problem with SP2 firewall, please explain why.

Since I'll have all my files kept on an external hard drive, I suppose that I won't need to be as concerned about getting a virus, or am I wrong?

Can you tell me if or how I'll be suseptible to a virus on my external hard drive?

Say, I did get a virus, trojan, worm, etc., and I couldn't find it with Ad-aware, and I had big problems, I could just reformat my hard drive (in this rare occurance). Any problem with that plan?

All suggestions welcome. If you have a problem with SP2 firewall, please explain why.

69200[/snapback]

1. There are possibilities that you may contract a virus in your external hard drive. The virus could start out in your main drive, C, and, when you plug your USB cable in (which is how you connect your external HD to your computer), the virus could spread. Also, I would not recommend plugging your external HD to your computer while you're connected to the Internet because hackers could compromise your computer and explore your ENTIRE computer (happened to me once - the mouse cursor moved by itself, and words appeared on the screen). Only connect your external HD to your computer when you're offline to be absolutely sure that that drive will stay clean.

2. Formatting your computer should get rid of everything - files, worms, virus, etc. If you're planning to reinstall Windows from a boot disc, you're safe. However, if your computer came with a backup folder that contains all the initial files that will be installed in the reformatting process, then you may have to check for viruses in that folder before formatting your computer, or else you'll start out fresh (after formatting) with a virus, which you probably do not want.

Also, you did not ask for this, but I'm going to recommend some essential programs for you to think about installing after you format. These program are not free, but are definately more superior to Norton-the-resource-hog. The first program is called Kaspersky Antivirus Personal. It's ranked as the best antivirus with a 99% detection rate. The next program is called Outpost Pro. Outpost Pro is, in my opinion, the best firewall on the market today. Some people did various leak tests on Outpost Pro and many other brand name firewalls such as ZoneAlarm, Norton Personal Firewall, and BlackIce, and they found out that Outpost Pro blocks almost all of their tests. The latest version of Outpost Pro guarantees to block ALL their tests. Here is the link if you wanna check it out: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.

As always, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me of post a reply :)

Edit: Made the link about Outpost Pro and Kaspersky clickable. :P

Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

I could not tell you the correct reply but I am using WinXP SP2 firewall with Avast antivirus. Earlier I have used Norton Antivirus with Zone Alarm Pro firewall but they were affecting my computer's resources badly. I did not get any virus when I was using NAV and ZA. Now also when I am using winxp with avast I did not get any virus or spyware. But I think the reason for this that I am using Firefox browser. In my office we have to use Internet Explorer and daily their are viruses and a lot of spyware. So I think if you are using Firefox than there are less chances of virus or spyware attack it does not effect that what antivirus or firewall you are using.

I do believe that the Microsoft Firewall and SP #2 is quite good. If you use AVG anti virus or whatever it is you want plus use the Microsoft AntiSpyware software then you can't really go wrong.

In my oppinion, the sp2 firewall can be just as good as any other. The main problem with this firewall is its difficult configuration. You have to manually add every port you want to block / allow to make it work well and effective.So know your ports and configure them. This is however, a lot of work.Thats why I would still advice another firewall cause they have interactive screens and much easyer configuration possibilities.Also as stated above, use an alternate browser and ofcourse AV software.Anyway good luck with the reinstallation and so on.

I personally dont like the Service pack firewall, because to add each program, you have to manually add the port numbers. Only some programs auto detect with the firewall to unblock. I currently use Norton Firewall, but as the previous posts said, it is a resource hog. I am thinking about switching to anohter antivirus and firewall, because Norton drains my resources severly.

i leave the internet on the whole weekend non stop and windows xp sp2 firewall seems to work just fine for me i have not pick up any nasty stuff off the internet yet. I think as a firewall windows one works fine as it does not take up to many resorces but one thing i seggest is to still keep a real time virus protection running just incase anything slips through and then you will know but i think the windows firewall is ok unless you are running some pc with highly senstive stuff on it that you really don't want to get compramised but for standard home usage i think it works just fine. just make sure that your virus protection is kept up to date and everything will be just fine and also your external harddrive can get a virus just as easily as any other hardrive just because it's external does not make it any harder to infect because when you use it it has to be connected to the pc so that means it can be infected just as easily. i would suggest only connect it when you need to use it and scan it with the up dated virus protection program every now and then to check that it is clean

Windows XP SP2 firewall is very good at blocking incomming connections. But it doesn't block outgoing connections effectively. Outpost firewall will be a better option than SP2 firewall. But since you are behind a router, having a better firewall at present may not be required. Make sure that your router is configured properly.