xisto Community
manuleka

Upgraded Cpu: G620 --> I3 3220

So i finally get to upgrade my CPU from an intel G620 to an i3 3220It's a great upgrade because in gaming the performance boost is quite obvious... I'm currently playing Ghost Recon: Future Soldiers and Skyrim VSo my question is, would it be necessary to reinstall Windows on an intel Upgrade like this?Or should the OS fully utilize the capabilities available on the new i3?platform:Windows 7 Professional2x2GB DDR3 Corsair640 GB 7200RPM ps. now my hard drive is the only bottleneck, will have to look into adding in a SSD drive at some later stage

Reinstalling Windows shouldn't need to be reinstalled. If your worried about the driver being proper for the processor, I'd go into the device manager and uninstall the CPU driver and reboot, then run Windows update.I don't think Intel chips require specific drivers, I know some AMD chips do. However if you do try this please let me know how it goes and if you see a change in performance.

Reinstalling Windows shouldn't need to be reinstalled. If your worried about the driver being proper for the processor, I'd go into the device manager and uninstall the CPU driver and reboot, then run Windows update.
I don't think Intel chips require specific drivers, I know some AMD chips do. However if you do try this please let me know how it goes and if you see a change in performance.

after installing the new CPU... on first bootup into Windows i got the 800x600 resolution then it started auto-installation of some driver - i presumed its to do with the CPU, although it prompted me about my video card (HD 7850) which i didn't accept... but then after restart it fell back to the screens natural resolution...

i do notice a difference in performance as mentioned above

Ok in that case I would definetly say that you have the correct driver installed, if your still concerned I would suggest running windows update just to be sure. As for the Video Card driver prompt, I would go to your card manufacturers website and just check your driver version against their current and update as necessary.

Ok in that case I would definetly say that you have the correct driver installed, if your still concerned I would suggest running windows update just to be sure. As for the Video Card driver prompt, I would go to your card manufacturers website and just check your driver version against their current and update as necessary.

Driver was already installed... i presume it could be to do with the newly installed CPU

Ha-Ha! I just lost my motherboard, will have to buy a new one, let's see if the current Windows will boot on my next motherboard. :wacko:

that will be interesting... i have tried booting Windows XP from a hard drive on a different machine, it loaded but with heaps of issues... ended up reinstalling a fresh copy