xisto Community
iGuest

Disable F1-12 Keys?

I have a gateway computer, it has all the F1-12 keys set to a certain function on the computer. I downloaded a game and to play it uses the F keys. When i try to use them it does nothing on the game but it does the task its ment to on the computer. I am wondering is there a way to disable the function keys while i play the game. But not turn them off forever. I still need the keys for when im not playing the game.Any informaton would be helpful. Thank you

We need to know how these F1-12 keys are handled on your computer.Probably a daemon task is running on your computer, trapping these keystokes.If this is the case, simply kill the program and restart it when you stop playing on the computer.And if it's a service, just stop the service.If you have enough cpu and memory, another way could be playing games on a virtual machine hosted on the same computer. So, you don't need to change your physical computer settings. Should work, when you will be on the virtual system the F1-F12 keys should be passed to the virtual OS, and not to the physical system.

We need to know how these F1-12 keys are handled on your computer.Probably a daemon task is running on your computer, trapping these keystokes.If this is the case, simply kill the program and restart it when you stop playing on the computer.And if it's a service, just stop the service.If you have enough cpu and memory, another way could be playing games on a virtual machine hosted on the same computer. So, you don't need to change your physical computer settings. Should work, when you will be on the virtual system the F1-F12 keys should be passed to the virtual OS, and not to the physical system.

On some gateways, this might work. On others, though, it will not work, as the key sequence is caught at the motherboard level. I have a gateway machine that I uninstalled windows 8 and re-installed windows 7, and the f keys are all like that.

The problem with running a virtual machine in this kind of situation is that the keys are still captured at the motherboard, and not passed on to the overlying operating system. I have to hold a Fn key and hold the f key that I want on my gateway laptop to get the f key to register. I really hate this arrangement, and have contacted gateway tech support several times, and they tell me that there is nothing that can be done about this, as it is designed to make working with windows 8 better. Like you could make that travesty any better. lol

On my HP laptop, there was an option in the BIOS to modify the function of the F... keys. You can set it to work for system tasks like reduce brightness etc (all without simultaneously pressing the "fn" key). In this mode, if you wanted to press, for example, F2 (to rename a file), you had to press the "fn" key and then press F2...

I am not sure I understood the OP correctly, but anyway I still thought it might help...