xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ritu

Why Should We Suffer ?

Hello friends!

Today I wish to share with everyone, how the residents of Navi- Mumbai(the part of Mumbai that developed later), have suffered for I am not sure what to call it.

It was an issue between the RTO personnel and the union for auto-rickshaw drivers. There was some news flashing both on t.v. and in the newspapers about the disagreement regarding the minimum fare. As most of the news stuff is mostly repetitive and gets unnecessarily dragged over, not many people paid attention to that matter, moreover, anything wasn't stated clearly.

As far as I remember, it was a Friday, and probably the 16thof March, when I came out my house to go for work. Though my place of work isn't quite far away from the place i live in, it is advisable to take an auto-rickshaw because the sun starts scorching by 8:30 in the morning. So, I went ahead to ask a driver of an auto to drop me off to my workplace, and he shocked me with the news of a strike, also showed me a newspaper, the name of which I had never heard. There were a few other females who were about to faint as they had to walk all the way to the railway station, even I need to take a walk for about 20-25 minutes. As a matter of relief, the autos resumed to ply on the roads when I came out of the office that day.

Now, came the real trauma, in the morning of the 20th of March, the residents again had to deal with the same issue. We had to expose to the unbearable heat and already got tired by the time I reached my office, for I need to work right as I wake up in the morning. It was really useless asking the few drivers that were standing on the road, spending their time gossiping and playing cards. The people suffered for five long days( the days were literally long), before the auto drivers came to the decision of restarting their business.

This intensity of trouble was piled on us along with several other issues for no fault of ours. Neither the auto drivers nor the RTO officials had the time to spare thinking about the commoners.So, there was no other option left with us than to suffer. But why should we? I hear that these people are planning to stage another protest by the second week of this month, the only way to protest is to go on a strike. How is going on a strike justified enough to solve any issue, specially when elderly people and children are the worst hit lot? They wish their ends to be met by making us suffer.