xisto Community
Ahsaniqbalkmc

Android: What Is Rooting?

I am new to android ecosphere and learning (or trying) some new things. the newest thing that cm in front of me is roping of an android device. iI haven't done mugh search on this topic online but by the presence of the term, iI can say that it is quite a popular thing. from some places, iI got he impression that it might be an illegal thing to do but iI have along come to know that it somehow frees your device and let you have more.control over it.there is or thing that iI need to know more than the other about rooting of an android device and that is , will iI be able to claim my warranty If something happens to Tue device during r after the rooting process.help from anyone is appreciated.

Rooting seems similar to the "jailbreaking" in the apple world.

However some carriers, like AT&T, prevent the installation of applications not on the Android Market in firmware,[2] although the new Samsung Infuse 4G from AT&T allows running applications not downloaded from the market.[3]

See more here : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

And, of course, ask the guy who sold you the android device, but seems rather clear that if you touch this you are not any more covered by any garantee.

I got the device from a friend of mine and most likely he doesn't know about it. But the important thing is that the device has still got warranty. If non rooted devices cannot install custom apps then I guess that my device has already been rooted as I am able to install apps outside the android market. I did some research on the topic.after I made the first.post. My research tells me that android is a Unix based.operating system AMD rooting is nothing but gaining root access similar to gaining.root.access on a linux system. And if rooting means gaining the root.access then I don't understand how it is related to installing custom apps as you can install custom apps without the root access.

It's not as clear as that. Without rooting your device, you can allow your adroid OS to accept apps which are not from not coming from the android market. rooting really allows you to get root access, like on a standard linux system.

And, of course, if you are not familiar with the rooting thing, don't touch this, it can make your android device simply stop working, definitely.