xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Inspiron

Skinning Windows Xp Do you know how to skin ?

Okay, I've heard alot about skinning Windows XP with programs made specially for skinning.But these programs somehow lags my system and I'm not quite happy about it...Anyone knows how to skin Windows XP without using using software like DesktopX or ThemeXP etc. ?Just skinning it manually including icon sets too..

Well if you want to skin your XP then you can try http://www.tgtsoft.com/ stylexp product it is good and lets you apply various visual styles.

also http://www.stardock.com/ windowblinds is great utility that turns your xp into linux or mac interface .even it will fool real users.these two are good utility ,if you dont have money to purchase style xp .and want to apply visual styles you can find hacked ux theme.dll and start off.

some of the visual style resources are

http://www.themexp.org/

take off from here.

if you find more stuff do let me know about this.

Yeah thanks...

I've got a whole lot of programs that can do skinning in my list...

But I wanna do it manually without program...

69015[/snapback]

I dont think you can, I am pretty sure that you need a program containing the required patch, so that you can use non microsoft styles, however as stated above a hacked ux theme.dll will do this.

have you ever considered changing the shell?

shell-shocked.org has a lot of info on this, If you are intereseted in this I would recommend litestep.

Yeah stylesXP is the best. The best way to learn really is to check out deviantart where they not only provide tutorials on how to use many different softwares, but also they provide many skins that people have created which are quite awesome.

What do you mean by skinning?? i didn't even know you could do things liek taht for XP and all lol shows how dumb i am lol sry about thsi but so indesting thanks i well give it a try

Notice from whyme:
I couldn't help but notice all the spelling errors that you have here.
Edited by whyme (see edit history)

skinning is a method to change the current windows interface.. it can done using a number of overlaying software(such as windowblinds, which i recommend)... goto wincustomize.com to download from the huge themes library, and goto stardock.com for downloading a freeware version of windowblinds.Precautions:If you have a rather slow pc and sparse ram, i totally recommend against windowblinds, as it is a bit of a memory hogger.Or just download normal themes for xp , download Plus! for XP which does cost (its microsoft, aint it obvious).. but i recommend going for windowblinds if you dont want that green frog like taskbar causing sleepless nights...Cheers,Tariq

Manual SkinningSkinning Windows Xp

Hi

So,  I have this thing that may or may not be qualified as "manually skinning XP" however, it  requires minimal software interference. 

You definately have to patch the "uxtheme.Dll" - use a reputable source for this, I use one compatible for XP PRO SP3. If you are going to do this "manually" you will then need to consider the state of or if the abovementioned dll is being used or in "service", well, anything besides classic mode (not if you turn off/disable the theme service) - yeah, apologies - means that you will encounter resistance from you system here on.

If the "uxtheme.Dll" file is presented as a zip file you would then need to extract the file directly into your Windows/system32 folder - the message you may be prompted to respond is to replace the "uxtheme.Dll", your choice. If that fails stop the theme service by accessing it via start/control panel/administrator tools/services.

You may also be prompted by the OS to insert your installation disk as a"vital" or  "life threatning" file has been replaced. Your choice for responding however, cancel and then yes you would like to keep the changed / replaced file.

All ok, then turn on the theme services if this was your last resort, no need to reboot.

Now you can extract, copy or whatever to the Windows/rescources/ folder and access your selection through the right click on your desktop, properties, select the Appearance tab and then select the theme in the drop down menu under Windows and buttons.

I am not responsible for the choices you make. Be prudent, patient and think about the process and all will be well... - No animals were harmed in the making of this explanation and please remeber our trees before printing.

-reply by Eddy